Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Staying in London for One Night. Looking for pretty, quaint, charming neighborhood.

Search

Staying in London for One Night. Looking for pretty, quaint, charming neighborhood.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:53 AM
katherine

I'm not interested in shopping, crowds or the big city aspects of London. Like I said I'm looking for the most quaint, charming neighborhood(s) to focus my time on for one evening. <BR> <BR>Can anyone help?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:00 AM
katherine

Addendum: I'd like to find a neighborhood with old-fashioned, narrow streets, vine-covered passageways and mews. Am I out to lunch or are they out there? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:24 PM
Deborah

Hi! Try the Paddington or Kensington area......those seem to be the least touristy. Good luck !

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:34 PM
katherine

Thanks Deborah. <BR> <BR>Anybody else with suggestions? <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:40 PM
Nancy

Try Hampstead. It's like a small village in the center of town--only a couple of tube stops away from Bond Street on the Northern Line. Not many tourists either.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:15 PM
katherine

Nancy <BR> <BR>Is Hampstead East, West or Central?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:34 PM
kam

Hampstead is north toward the Regent's Park area. Also look at Belgravia which has the little mews you are looking for, but I can't think of a hotel there and it would be quite pricey if there is one. My suggestion would be Chelsea, South Kensington, or you might even want to go out to Richmond. (all of these are on the way out to Heathrow--is it the last day of a trip before departing?)

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:40 PM
D

Stay away from Oxford Street, Earl's Court, Leister Sq .... <BR> <BR>Chelsea and St. John's Wood are nice residential areas (in parts) and parts of Holland Park can be nice. Also, SOUTH kensington has some nice streets. <BR> <BR>Check out this B&B site,it may suit your needs: <BR> <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...meset&active=5 <BR> <BR>(yikes ... hope it works, heavens knows how I got there!) <BR> <BR>My very, very favorite hotel ever in London was the wonderful Cliveden Town House in Chelsea (worth every penny but I did get a discount off-season). My room was on the ground floor looking on to a private garden (think the movie Notting Hill), tea & biscuits when you check in, shoes shined and returned in the morning, open fires in some rooms ..... There are better sites than this giving better descriptions, but check it out. <BR> <BR>http://london.nethotels.com/english/...ch=304&count=1 <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:44 PM
katherine

Kam - <BR> <BR>Precisely. I leave for New York out of Heathrow Airport the next morning. I'm even considering staying at the Radisson at the airport and just taking <BR>the Heathrow Express train in for the evening. It would be so much easier come morning. On the other hand, if I could find just the right hotel in just the right neighborhood in London, then I'd be willing to deal with it. What would you do in London if you only had one evening? It will be a Friday night. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:50 PM

to the top <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:12 AM
ldsant

I like your idea of finding a cheap place to stay for the night by the airport - especially if you have an early morning flight. Will cut down on the "logistics." My favorite neighborhood is South Kensington and Notting Hill. Quaint, quiet, restaurants, pubs, some shopping. You can reach the center of London with both tube stops nearby. I would also make sure I see a play (if you're interested in the theatre). Walk Covent Gardens afterwards.