Reload this Page >

How does one "pant" in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 03:32 AM
lara

Okay, I think I have figured out what I should pack for our trip to the Amalfi coast this summer. But what do the men wear? They shouldn't wear shorts and I read in another thread that only "dorks" wear light colored pants. So the guys have to swelter in dark, hot trousers?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 03:37 AM
Tony Hughes

Lara <BR> <BR>Anything except those khaki GAP shorts worn with a brown belt, a stripey polo shirt, dark socks and dress shoes. Oh and a little pouch/purse/filofax as well.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 05:06 AM
howard

And who, may I ask, has issued the "no shorts for men" fashion edict? Or that only "dorks" wear light-colored pants? C'mon! Have we men really become such slaves to fashion?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 06:53 AM
getaGQ

Unfortunately not! Most men don't seem to care what they look like when abroad. Perhaps you are all taking a cue from Rick Steeves? Don't! If it walks like a nerd, talks like a nerd, hey, it's a nerd!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:21 AM
Diego

Also, you will feel like you "fit in" more if you wear dark pants, no pleats, that are somewhat tighter-fitting than americans are used too. Baggy pants are thought to be very sloppy and unfashionable.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:32 AM
Paty

Diego, your email address indicates you live in Italy, right? So what is my American boyfriend suppose to wear while in Tuscany, Florence and Venice during April? I hope dockers are ok.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:35 AM
Lara

Diego, we would like more information. And Howard, it was someone who had visited Barcelona who said men in light pants are dorks. Apparently her traveling companions were all refused admittance to a club and they all agreed that it was because one of the guys had khakis on.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:42 AM
Patrick

Or here's a thought. Maybe they wouldn't let them in because they WERE dorks, or because they were being loud, rude Americans in the line, or because they simply didn't want a bunch more guys, or any of about a hundred other reasons. Getting into a club in Europe can be just like New York, it's anybody's guess who the guy on the line decides he will let in on any given night. I saw a lot of fashionable men in a lot of fashionable places in Barcelona and just about everywhere else in Europe in Khakis, light tan, and (gasp!) even white slacks, so I have no idea what you people are talking about. No doubt dark colors are very in just as they are in metro areas of the US, but it is not the only thing to wear and still be fashionable.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 12:58 PM
xx

from the wisdom of charlie brown... <BR> <BR>a dork in dark pants is still a dork... <BR> <BR>but if he pees his pants it isnt so obvious. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 01:20 PM
howard

Having been to Italy twice in the past 15 months, I don't buy Diego's simplistic fashion dictum! My Italian friends don't feel the least bit unfashionable in their non-tight-fitting pants with pleats! <BR>Before my first trip to Italy I was also told that you shouldn't wear jeans because Italians don't. Bull!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 04:45 PM
hamlet

Is it right leg then left leg, or does the left leg go in first? <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 05:07 PM
Caitlin

With one's tongue?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:53 PM
Brad

I hope you and Diego are the same age. Relax, and just wear clothes that YOU look good in (although I do agree with Tony and getaGQ). If you feel you're not fitting in take a walk to the beach. Yes, that enormously overweight man who you THINK is offended by your light colored, baggy pants is wearing a Speedo.Maybe it's OK because he's just offending the fish?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:14 PM

to the top <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:34 AM
christina

ciao lara <BR> <BR>i thauhgt about your question yesterday and you are right: mean don't wear shorts here in italy. it's something who is a big NO to let other people show hairy legs. then, another real big huge NO is wearing white tenis socks to any kind of pants. it's only permitted if you play tenis or do some sports. <BR> <BR>my lifepartner use to wear light dark or grey-colored pants during the summer. i thought about this: if you are under 40 years old, then your partner can buy some of these techno-pants, very light waven pants ether with a rubber at the end to put them together (they are still very hip if you dress the more sportiv way) or without it. if you are over the 40 you can buy normal "darker colored" pants, still very light (the material i try to discribe is woven thight but if you touch it, then you feel how thin the tissue is, normaly they dry very fast and they fall in a good way). <BR> <BR>then something else (this is for all of you): normaly we know americans from a long distance and i personaly saw americans who were both very well dressed. but normaly you see here americans dressed with kaki-colored dockers and t-shirts. and actually why shouldn't you look like americans? if i travel in the states it's o.k. if i look like italian/swiss, because i'm from there...... <BR> <BR>tanti saluti e una bellissima giornata! <BR> <BR>christina