Staying in Lapa district in Lisbon

Dec 29th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Staying in Lapa district in Lisbon

Hello, we are considering an apartment in the Lapa district just south of the Jardim de Estrella on Travessa do Combro.
This is our first time to Lisbon but normally we like to stay just out of the main tourist district and take public transportation to sights, coming back to a more quiet, relaxed environment after a day's touring. However, not quite sure if this is too far out or if there are neighborhood cafes, markets, etc close by.
This is apartment 146 rented by TravellingtoLisbon.
Any help appreciated.
Dec 29th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Hi, cindyjo,

I know this neighborhood pretty well -- A friend lives on Bela Vista a Lapa, about two blocks from where the apartment is. This is a quiet residential area. There is a Pingo Doce (small but very complete grocery store)a few blocks away. There is commerce on the Calcada da Estrela, in fact I've eaten in a number of small neighborhood restaurants there (nothing spectacular but all acceptable), as well as in the Campo d'Ourique neighborhood, which is about a 10 minute walk up Estrela on Domingos Sequeira. Another commercial street with lots of shops and cafes is Alvares Cabral, behind the Estrela gardens. The Infante Santo street is also busy and commercial.

As far as public transportation goes, the Tram 28 goes straight to the more touristy central areas, and it runs on the Calcada da Estrela. It passes by very frequently, I think around every ten minutes. I think the tram would take you 15-20 minutes from Estrela gardens to the Baixa/Rossio, maybe less.

The closest metro stop is Rato (an area I like a lot), and it's probably a 20 minute uphill walk on Alvarez Cabral. There are many buses running on Infante Santo and Alvarez Cabral, which would get you out to Belem, to the new Museum of the Oriente, to the transit museums and other places on the way out to Belem.

BTW, the Estrela gardens are a very nice place to relax and people watch. If you'll be there in summer, it's nice and cool.

Hope this helps with your decision, Laurie
Jan 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Laurie, thank you for all the good information on the Lapa District. I am looking at several apartments in that area as well as Principe Real near Rata.
We have a tentative plan for our Portugal trip but I will post in a separate thread. Hope you will give me your good feedback.
Jan 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM

cindyjo. Let me add that in August we contacted traveling to lisbon for an apartment. Unfortunately, although they tried their best, we wanted air conditioning and there just were no two bedroom apartments available when we needed one.

The service was outstanding. If you email them, they will contact you personally and will do their best to help. They even called me several times.

I would definitely consider using their service the next time we were in Lisbon.

And Laurie knows LOTS about Lisbon.

Sherry
Jan 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Hi, cindyjo,
I just posted some thoughts on your trip and have just a minute to add something here about staying in Lisbon.

Principe Real near the Rato metro stop is also a very nice area, IMO. I particularly love the Principe Real square, the Praca das Flores (which is next door to one of my new favorite Lisbon restaurants, Charcuteria Francesa). You should know that this is a very hilly area -- from the metro Rato to the Praca Principe Real is a steady upward climb, from Principe Real to Praca das Flores is a steep descent, etc. But it's really a lovely area of town.

And Sher has had several good experiences in more central tourist areas, like Chiado and Baixa, in case you decide to consider those locations. Laurie