Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Staying in Kiev for one week - do I need immunization jabs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean to sound paranoid but lately I keep reading in my Ukraine guidebooks that immunization for Hep A and typhoid is a good idea. They say it could be caught by eating or drinking. I intend to drink bottled water while in Kiev obviously but should I be worried about catching it in normal type of restaurants? I really don't want to get the jabs and I surely don't want Typhoid! Any feedback? Am I crazy not to protect myself before going?
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM

You should get the appropriate innoculations. Not doing so is risky - and sticking with bottled water won;t help much - unless you plan only on eating food you've brought with you.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM

we travelled to russia earlier this year - not on tour so we had to take REAL risks lol lol!

we spend so much money on jabs
typhoid ( i think thats the twinrix jab) and hepatitis
cos i had visions of us being in a highway accident and lying roadside acquiring germs by the second and russia not having any to spare two foreigners lol lol

hey i was right about the traffic but we didnt get into any trouble - yep id vaccinate myself again just for the peace of mind

i was very brave and actually had coffee and salad over there - no giardia to date!

i took fasigen with me - the all time cure for giardia just in case - sorry i dont think i got the spelling right but its four tabs that you take to kill the parasite

and it wont do you any harm if you take it and it's not giardia ( which causes really foul flatulence akin to overboiled cabbage- sorry to be gross but thats what the doctor told me before my trip so it is my duty to pass on this vital info! lol)
relax though
i swear im the most paranoid person on this planet and i ate everything!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 12:40 AM

I was in the Ukraine twice. I didn't take any medications. I never drink water. I drank wine and vodka and ate whatever.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I just got back from a week in Kiev/Kyiv and got no innoculations. I ate/drank whatever I wanted and am feeling fine so far. My brother lived and worked there for two years and never got Hep A or typhoid.

I did only drink bottled water however (our hotel even provided it) because even the Ukrainians don't drink the tap water without boiling it, as far as I could tell.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I've been to Ukraine twice, first in May, 2006 on a river cruise and then a free-style roadtrip in July this year. Did drink bottled water, but otherwise ate and drank freely. No parasite problems, no tummy problems. A most interesting country.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your opinions all! I'm still slightly torn. It IS wise not to risk it and yet some of you have come through with flying colors without bothering to get the jabs. I too went to Morocco without them and I wasn't terribly worried, but I guess it just depends on how much of a gambler you are. Thanks again though. Very informative and I love Fodor's forum!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 03:05 AM

Hep A is a good jab to get in any case - you are covered for along time (20years) if you get both jabs, and it's not only a risk in Ukraine, but also in Turkey for instance, and in parts of Mexico, and you can even get it in the US.