Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Switzerland: hotels or apartments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am deciding on whether to stay in hotels or stay in apartments while on honeymoon in Switzerland. I am planning on visiting lucerne, interlaken and montreux I can stay at these towns or smaller villages en route a train.

The advantage of a hotel I guess is that it will have some facilities, in house breakfast, may be located close to a train station so less travel and time saving.

Private apartments on the other hand sound more romantic but not sure how reliable those places will be.

Any experiences/recommendations/things to look out for?

Thanks much!
~B
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:30 PM

I think apartments usually require minimum 1 week stay. Is that what you want?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:12 AM

I'm certain apartments would probably be totally "reliable" but the question is do you consider housekeeping part of the honeymoon "romance?"
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:33 AM

I don't have an opinion on apartments vs. hotels, but I will make my standard plea for NOT staying in Interlaken unless there is a specific reason you chose it. Interlaken is not the Alps. You can see them in the distance, but if your goal is to stay in the Alps, then Interlaken won't do.

I suggest taking the train from Interlaken south about 30 minutes to Lauterbrunnen, which sits in a valley with the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau on one side and the Schilthorn on the other. Lauterbrunnen is also an easier place to depart from than Interlaken if you planning on going up to the Jungfraujoch or to the Schilthorn.

Murren and Wengen are two traffic-free towns that sit on cliffs overlooking the Lauterbrunnen valley on one side and looking up at the mountains on the other. Grindlewald is another popular nearby choice for a resort that really is in the Alps. Tiny Gimmelwald is a perfect choice if you want a rustic hamlet out of the way and not touristy.

I think any of these choices would be superior to Interlaken unless you chose it for a particular reason. Plus, Interlaken is easily reached from any of the towns I mentioned if you want to visit Interlaken as a day trip.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would prefer hotels, especially when you mention honeymoon. Location (as you mentioned yourself) and the help of a front desk staff can be invaluable.

Montreux is a farily small town so I'm not sure what "smaller villages" on the train route you'd find. You might like to consider Vevey instead of Montreux. They are side by side towns on the lake, and I feel Vevey has a much more "Swiss" atmosphere and somewhat prettier setting.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Hi Barista,

I also agree that a hotel would be better for a honeymoon -- more amenities, more services, and no need to even think about making the bed or making dinner, etc.

I'm curious about why you think apartments are "more romantic" than hotels? From the pictures I've seen on the web, apartment decor is not nearly as quaint, pretty, or charming as the decor of a nice hotel.

For some smaller villages to consider:

Near Luzern -- Weggis or Vitznau (though both are connected by bus & rail or ferry to Luzern, not a main rail line)

Near Montreux -- Rivaz (truly truly small and served only by the most local of local trains or the ferry), Glion (up on a hill overlooking Montreux, not on a main rail line), or Morges (close to Lausanne but on a main rail line).

Interlaken -- I love Wengen and Grindelwald, but again, they're not on a major rail line. I'd take Edward2005's advice there.

s
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've stayed in both hotels and apartments in Switzerland on several occasions.

It if were my honeymoon, I'd go for a hotel. Swiss hotels are generally of a very high standard (regardless of how many stars they have). With a hotel, breakfast and maid service will be included and you may also have an option for half board. Hotels often have facilites such as steam rooms, hot tubs, pools, and yes, most are centrally located.

Apartments are often owned by individuals and amentities and facilites can differ significantly from one to another. Some apartment owners require that you sign a contract, and you need to be aware that sometimes the basics, like say, heating or linens, cost extra.

As mentioned earlier, apartments usually require a week long stay.
However, some owners do rent for shorter says during the low season - this can vary dramatically from one place to another though.

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Looks like most of the people are suggesting that we stay in an hotel. The reason why I was inclined to try an option of a apartment is I think that a hotel is bit touristy and staying in an apartment will give us more privacy as well.. but thinking about other options such as facilities and breakfast etc, a hotel is more convenient.

Thanks again for all the replies.
~B
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:54 AM

You could also try a bed and breakfast - so you can choose a less touristy place and have some service.

www.bnb.ch
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 08:08 AM

I would stay in a hotel. If you and your bride can hike for an hour on a trail, let me make a suggestion. Go to Grindelwald, find just up the street from the railway station the cable car to First. Take the hike to the left to a pretty little lake I have forgotten the name of and pack a lunch of bread and cheese and drink and sit on the hillside behind this lake and look at a view that will take your breath away. Do this only on a clear day, and not before June! If you are going to Montreaux, you should go a little farther and go to Zermatt and view the Matterhorn.