State Department Memo: Violence in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received an email from the State Department today, a traveler's advisory about the "youth" violence that is spreading to Paris. There is no pattern of targeting tourists; however, many buildings and thousands of vehicles have been set afire. Of particular interest to tourists:

<i>&quot;Travelers using the Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris should be aware that a train between the airport and Paris passes through an affected area and has occasionally been disrupted. Travelers should rely instead on airport buses or taxis to downtown Paris.&quot; </i>

Here is the link to the entire advisory:

http://france.usembassy.gov/consul/a...ancetravel.htm

There is also a phone number and address included in the advisory for any citizen who needs assistance. Please be careful!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

I know there have been several threads on this board minimizing the rioting and arson, but when the State Department sends out a special warning, I take notice.

Today's Time magazine has a good article that provides both background and up-to-date photos--some of which are very disquieting.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:51 PM

There were cars burned in Brussels too..My daughter is going there in Dec. Hopefully, with the curfew that they are talking about being imposed, they can take back some control..
Several countries/citizens were warned about traveling to France at this time.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:00 PM

My wife and I went to Italy in October 2001 when the State Dept. warned that &quot;sites of American capitalism&quot; (McDonalds?) were being targeted by terrorists, and I was in Paris in early April 2003 when Americans were renaming french fries &quot;liberty fries.&quot; We had no problems in 2001, and I found the usual urban friendliness in 4/2003. My advice is to use good sense and have an enjoyable time.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

According to Time, vandals burned 27 public buses in Trappes; in Sevran, <b>rioters ambushed a bus, sprinkled gasoline on the passengers, then set it alight, severely burning a disabled woman. </b> Roving gangs targeted schools, shopping centers and businesses as one desolate neighborhood after another joined the mayhem. Thousands of police and firemen struggled to extinguish the rebellion but found themselves inflaming it. More than 480 arrests were made. In one suburb, shots were even fired at the cops. On Saturday night, a Molotov cocktail damaged three cars near Place de la R&eacute;publique in the city of Paris.

I would say that this is a bit more unsettling than French pique at American for renaming French fries, and in fact it has nothing whatsoever to do with Americans. The problems are internal: the level of unemployment especially amongst minorities in some European countries is very high, and there is increasing division along racial and religious lines in France.

Scarlett, under these circumstances it might be a good idea for your daughter to register her trip with the State Department, if there is still rioting when she travels. I always do it (admittedly unnecessarily) but you know--better safe, etc.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:07 PM

kswl, yes, I think so too. She is also going to Amsterdam so maybe they will adjust their plans and spend more time there than in Brussels..
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Of course there is that proposal put forth here by some foreign policy expert that the police should simply not respond to calls for help, as rioters would eventually get bored and stop.

Personally I dont think the iotors will stop untill a green flag flys over Elyse Palace
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

That proposal comes under the heading, &quot;And what were they thinking there?&quot; Let's hope the police don't adhere to that plan while the property and person damage continues.

Hope this is all over before your daughter ever even gets there, Scarlett. It probably will be, actually, because in recent history most riots have occurred in good/warm weather. I guess even protesters on fire for liberty and equality (and jobs) need to warm up by the hearth indoors, instead of starting fires outside.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:24 PM

&quot;I found the usual urban friendliness in 4/2003.&quot;

Right - you must have had a 100 Euro bill taped to your forehead!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

ROTFL!! too funny--
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 09:05 PM

&quot;Personally I dont think the iotors (sic) will stop untill (sic) a green flag flys (sic) over Elyse (sic) Palace&quot;

An absurd as well as illiterate post. The most cursory reading of what's happening in Paris would make it clear that it has nothing to do with religion, any more than race riots in American cities over the years have been motivated by religion.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 09:07 PM

My apologies to hcmehos - I should have said &quot;semi-literate&quot;. There's enough exaggeration going on already.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 09:24 PM
tod

I agree with you Neil_OZ. It has very little to do with religion if at all. They are simply well dressed thugs (no shortage of cash there) who, as one reporter put it on SKY this morning, &quot;Have done badly at school, have no chance at getting a job and want the good things in life&quot;.
Here in South Africa we have an ever growing problem of immigrants ( mostly illegal) and mostly Nigerian (drug lords and pimps) Those of other nationalities closer to home like Malawi, Zambia and thousands from Mozambique &amp; Zimbabwe are the taylors &amp; craftware people and get on with earning a living. At the moment they don't seem concerned with politics.
Maybe things will change as they become intergrated into the local society.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:13 AM

If you think there aren't 'religious thugs' think again; a lot of them are hiding in tax-exempt pulpits these days as they incite others.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:18 AM

the situation in france is much more complex than religion or immigration,it is a combination of a number of factors, including bad government. Not passing blame from the rioters but there are some inherent problems that have led up to this. it is not a simple as calling as it a religious war as some people seem to want such an easy answer especially as it ties nicely into mr. bush's policies.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

France declared a state of emergency overnight, giving the police wider powers of search and seizure. Hard to predict if this clamping down will have the desired effect.

And in terms of the immigrants integrating into French society, the Time article featured an interview with a Muslim rapper, second generation French, who declared,&quot;how much more French can we be?&quot; It seems that France's immigration policies have neither resulted in assimilation for the immigrants nor a larger pool of skilled labor for its companies.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:00 AM

maybe the police should swap out their rubber bullets for the real thing.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:09 AM

hmmm yes, a nice little police massacre. That'll help the tensions I'm sure. Just like on Bloody Sunday.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 01:30 PM

The situation may or may not be terrorist related, but terrorists around the world are watching carefully just how the government handles it.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:36 PM

In New Orleans after Katrina, the roving bands of criminals were not defeated until someone took the initiative to start shooting at them with real bullets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -