Search

Starting to get some direction.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting to get some direction.....

Hi everyone! I originally posted this:

"Message: Hello! A friend and I are thinking about a trip to Europe in the summer. We were thinking about 2 weeks. One basic itinerary I saw on a website was Paris-Zurich-Venice-Florence-Rome. Though we would love to see more cities in other countries, we want to be able to experience the cities we visit and not feel too rushed.

I am not sure whether we should plan our own trip or take a tour. We are both 22 years old, and although we want to do plenty of sightseeing, we also want to have flexibility and leisure time to do our own thing. We would like to stay at least 2 nights in each of the cities if possible. We want to keep the trip inexpensive, but comfortable, meaning that we would like to have adequate accomodations that are within the heart of the city attractions, and would prefer private bathroom facilities if at all possible. We are not sure whether or not a tour would be best for us, or planning our own trip. If tours are significantly cheaper, we would consider.

I would love to get whatever advice I can about planning a trip, taking a tour, finding cheap airfare (we are willing to fly into London if cheaper, and would prefer the open jaw flights), etc. I realize that we have picked rather expensive cities for a hopefully affordable European trip, but I have always wanted to see Italy (mom was born there!) and I want to visit someone I met in Paris (hope we can sleep on the floor!) Again, any and all experiences/tips/resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!"

Thank you everyone for the input! I just checked, thinking that I would maybe get 2 responses in the week or two of time....getting so many responses so quickly was great!

Anyways, I am starting to think that maybe 3 cities should be the maximum for the two weeks. I definitely want to see Paris adn Florence....which would make the third option probably Venice. Would I be really missing out by forgoing Rome this time around? Any further input anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, depending on the time in each city (and whether it is just Paris and Florence or Venice as well) what day-trips would you recommend?
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:20 AM

Topping this for you
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:14 AM
ira

Hi al,

Rome, Florence and Venice make a very good 2 week trip.

Fly into Venice - 3 days; train to Florence - 6 days - daytrips to Siena and Pisa/Lucca and/or Bologna; train to Rome - 5 days; fly home.

Train schedules are at www.trenitalia.com

See http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

www.opodo.com

for discounters who do open jaws

Als see Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

You could also do a week in Paris and split a week between Florence and Venice, but this would not be as convenient.

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 05:30 AM

We just almost that exact route but stayed in Montreux instead of Zurich. We were in Paris 4 nights then took a train to Montreuz for 1 night then a train to Venice for 4 nights, train to Florence for 2 nights train to Rome for 3 nights. We stayed in Venice about 1 day longer than we really wanted but it was Christmas and I didn't know how reliable the train schedules were.

For us, the trip was very good and we even had my parents along with us.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
To locate your original post click on your own screename.