Reload this Page >

Standing Up for Handel's Messiah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:32 PM
david s

May I express the hope that those who read this will be sufficiently imbued with the Christmas spirit to treat this as a genuine inquiry, that at least borders on the &quot;travel&quot; category?<BR><BR>The question is: Do audiences in your area, country, etc. stand up for the singing of the Hallelujah chorus at performances of Handel's &quot;Messiah&quot;?. We do in Toronto, Canada and I'm wondering if this is a local affectation or something a little more universal, derived perhaps from the (probably apocryphal) reaction of George II of England who is alleged to have arisen at the beginning of the Chorus during the first performance of the Messiah.<BR><BR>Thanks and a very Merry Christmas (or other olitically correct salutation at this time of year) to those who respond to this enquiry.<BR><BR>David S

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:38 PM
Bree

I haven't been to a live performance of Messiah since the 1960's, when the Glee Club at my high school used to perform it every year at Christmas, but I can report that people in New Jersey stood for the Hallelujah Chorus back then.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Ted

David: We live in Orange County, CA. When we attended the performance at the OC Center for the Performing Arts (where many notables, including Pavarotti have performed,) everyone stood. I assume there are always attendees who know the history of the Hallelujah chorus and will start the ball rolling. (Kinda like &quot;the wave.&quot; Ted

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:42 PM
Lynn

David. I have been to a few performances of Messiah in Australia and around 1/3 of the audience stood. Judging by body language 1/3 knew about standing but chose not to and the remaining 1/3 were horribly confused and didn't know what to do!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:14 PM
Larry

As David says the tradition is reputed to going back to the standing of King George II at the begining of the chorus. What is in doubt is if the King stood up because he was so moved by the magnificent music, or if in fact the King had dozed off and was so startled by the loud chorus that he stood up. Although we'll never know I sure enjoy the latter story much more.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:10 AM
standup sitdown

Traditionally, it is correct to stand when the Hallelujah Chorus is SUNG.<BR><BR>I have seen a few people (incorrectly) stand during orchestral renditions of the H. Chorus, and look around smugly, like those of us remaining seated were the dolts.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:11 AM
Amy

I recently attended a performance of Messiah by Boston Baroque, and in the program was a blurb on whether it was appropriate or not to stand during the chorus. The program indicated it was fine to do whichever you felt comfortable doing, but of the entire audience, I saw only a handful of people (less than 10) stand.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

Handel was German but lived in London for most of his adult life.Once his popularity waned and he went to Dublin where he lived for nine months.There on 13 April 1742 the first performance of the Messiah took place in a theatre in Fishamble St.That particular work has remained popular ever since.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Siobhan

The Messiah is performed every year at Christmas time in Christ Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral. Once again this year I have missed it and cannot account forthe standing orsinging although I feel tht if I paid to see a choir perform I would not ruin it by singing in my off key voice! <BR><BR>Handel wrote the Messiah in Dublin to raise money for the poor of the city. A bit of a philanthropist. The first performance of the Messiah was in Dublin and I am not sure if it was in Christchurch or beside it. There is a plaque beside Handels hotel on a side street to Christchurch entering Temple bar that states he lived there and some historical information. I hope to go this year as I think it will be amazing to hear in a Dublin church!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 03:22 AM
xxx

The history of that is interesting. I thought I had read, that he was very depressed at the time. Would not leave his room. Someone brought him food and would leave it at the door. I thought I had heard it was during his down and out time, he wrote the Messiah. He was inspired spiritually at the time in his life.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:09 AM
erica

Every year I see the Messiah performed by the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Everyone always stands for the Hallelujah Chorus. It gives me goosebumps everytime.<BR><BR>felix dies Nativitatis!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:27 AM
lynn

Speaking of Handel, I'd recommend a visit to the Handel museum in London for any music lover. He was a fascinating character and the museum, which is recently opened, is worth a visit. <BR><BR>The audience have stood for the Hallelujah Chorus at every performance I've ever attended of &quot;Messiah,&quot; by the way.