Standing room tickets for Vienna Opera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience getting standing room tickets at the Vienna Opera? Do they sell out very quickly, or is it fairly easy to get them (I know they only go on sale 80 minutes before the show, just kind of wondering if I need there well before that to be in line, or what). If it helps, the show is the 3 April performance of The Flying Dutchman. Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:47 AM

We went a couple of years ago, and if memory serves, we had a short wait in line. We paid about 3 EU each for the tickets.

You do want to get upstairs and stake out your position as soon as you can, if only draping a shawl across your spot, so I wouldn't tarry downstairs admiring the place; go on a tour earlier in the day or check it out afterward. It's possible, though, that your particular opera or performance will have longer lines. Could you drop by early in the day and ask if they expect the performance (the SR tickets) to sell out early?)

It was a wonderful experience to be there for a performance; they are respectful to standing room patrons, providing little screens for the superscript translations, for example.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I'll be in the Altstadt pretty much the whole day, so I definitely can drop by beforehand. Thanks for the information.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Do you know that 9 euro tickets are still available. They can be purchased over the State Opera website

www.staatsoper.at

Not the bset seats - but no waiting in line ( use time for sightseeing) and you are guaranteed a ticket and seat.

Most tickets are already sold and I would suspect you would need to get in line much before the 80 minute box office opening.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:44 AM

That's right - there are 9 EU tickets left. Can be bought online.
In November we saw a ballet at standing room prices - got there 30 minutes before the wicket opened. (For the Flying Dutchman, I would go at least 45 minutes before the wicket opens.) Wicket opened at 7, bought tickets for 2 or 3 EU, waited again before being allowed to go upstairs. Were told that balcony standing room is preferable to parterre standing room. Upstairs in the balcony we staked out a place with scarves around the spot, and then went downstairs and checked out the absolutely gorgeous building interior. Also had an open-face caviar "sandwich" for a pittance.
Whichever way you go, it will be a wonderful experience! Enjoy.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

9 Euros does sound worth it, so I got those (side balcony, not wonderful seats, but it's really the music I'm going for anyway, and the experience). Haven't had to read that much German for a while though, that was fun. Not sure if went through, either, guess I'll find out on my credit card statement; if not, standing room it is.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM

We went to the volksoper (Madame Butterfly that night) and if it is not sold out once the lights go down you can nab a seat!!

Also you only needed to be there perhaps 20mins earlier for standing room tickets. There was a long line but that was students waiting for last minute half prices tickets with ID.

I imagine it is the same for the opera house in town. If it is not sold out and it is not a friday or saturday night you will have a better chance.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

It's a Monday night, so it should be alright, assuming the tickets online didn't go through.