St. Tropez or Nice?

Jan 1st, 2018, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

St. Tropez or Nice?

I will be in Cannes for the festival in May but have a weekend prior to the festival and am deciding if I should spend it in St. Tropez (Sat/Sun) or Nice (Sat/Sun)? Is there more to do/see in Nice or St. Tropez for a weekend? I know one is more of a party beach town and the other is more of a regular city, but that's all I know and could use some more info and suggestions! I like trying really great restaurants, take in natural beauty, browsing markets, but also relaxing at the beach. If I am not looking to party then should I ignore St. Tropez altogether?
Jan 1st, 2018, 09:39 PM

There's no comparison between the two, apart from being on the Med. Nice is a large town with lots to do. St Tropez a small village. I love St Tropez in the off-season, but there's not much to do and it is difficult to reach, traffic is terrible and there's no train.
If you just want to relax for 2 days and spend time on the beach then St Tropez is great. There's a nice market on Tuesdays and Saturdays. But in May it is not certain that you will have beach weather - and it that case there's not much to do.

Nice has a pebble beach - but if you're at a beach club, it's not such an issue. They put mats down. The sea is a bit cold for swimming in May anyway. In Nice there will be plenty of other things to do in case the weather is not good. For natural beauty take a trip along the Corniche to Eze, or visit Cap Ferrat.
Jan 1st, 2018, 09:44 PM

Nice would be the place to go.
Jan 1st, 2018, 11:52 PM

Will you be in Cannes for the entire festival? Going on at the same time in Saint-Tropez . . .Les Bravades (May 16,17,18) When I had friends who were artists at the port, I went yearly, enjoyed myself and was never a victim of bad weather. Great beach weather.

See what you think. Transport to Saint Tropez is difficult.

https://www.seesainttropez.com/event...-tropez-673804
Jan 2nd, 2018, 06:48 AM

Be aware that the Cannes Film Festival and Monaco Gran Prix overlap and both impact Nice and the whole Côte d'Azur.. Get your hotel reservations asap!
We were there at that time and were able to get away from the crowds in various Nice neighborhoods. Nice offers so much to do.
I like St-Tropez but fear it would too crowded to enjoy it whereas Nice is larger so can escape crowds easier.
Jan 2nd, 2018, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

This is great info, just what I was looking for! Thanks so much! I will stick with Nice.

Follow up, I already have hotel reservations for the festival in Cannes but not for the weekend prior, would I be better off with a hotel in Nice or an AirBnb? Has anyone had any experience with either? I'm not very familiar with most of the hotel chains in France so the only ones I see are an expensive Hyatt and the Le Meridien Nice otherwise I am not very familiar. Let me know if anyone has some good ideas. Thanks!
Jan 2nd, 2018, 06:25 PM

Nice, hands down.

I don't like San Tropez, but I love Beaulieau sur mer and Cap St Jean Ferrat.

If I could stay at any hotel in Nice it would be La Perouse.

Thin
Jan 2nd, 2018, 06:56 PM

For only 2 days, Airbnbs or other short term rentals can be problematic if you can even find one that will rent for that short a period. And if your "host" finds a longer term tenant you can be easily out of a place to stay with no warning. This is a busy time in that area. Better to have a guaranteed reservation.
Mar 16th, 2018, 11:03 AM

I would continue my stay at the hotel in Cannes and rent a car for the 2 days and visit the towns around the area.
Why change hotels? The drive is not a long drive. Have fun.
Mar 16th, 2018, 11:53 AM

Don't need cars to go to St-Tropez but take train to St-Raphael then boat or bus. Trains also run up and down the Riviera and buses to hilltowns. For lots on public transit in Cote d'Azur check www.oui.sncf; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

for beach St-Tropez ('san tro-pehz') for all things a large city can offer Nice is very nice. The old town of St-Tropez is away from the beaches and is a nice small town.
Mar 17th, 2018, 11:39 AM

I agree with most of posters, stay in Nice. It has great dining, hotels, museums, and so much history, a mix of French and Italian.
Mar 18th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Nice is nice but many prefer to stay in nearby smaller towns like Antibes - a lovely old town quite near Cannes - between Cannes and Nice. Nice is not the only alternative.

Search this Thread