Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Paris to Canterbury - Concert - Is it possible?

Paris to Canterbury - Concert - Is it possible?

Mar 15th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Paris to Canterbury - Concert - Is it possible?

Hello. In early June, there is a concert at the Spitfire in Canterbury. The concert shows as being approximately from 18:00 to 22:30. As far as I can tell, the only likely scenario of making it back in the same night / early morning to Paris is if one was to drive (would be a rental). This option seems risky with, what I assume would be traffic leaving Canterbury, and possibly missing the last train through the chunnel. (23:50?) .

Are there trains operating 24 hours per day or later in the evening starting in June?
Are there specific charter bus services which run people to concerts and back?
Do you know of another reasonable why this can be accomplished?

Thanks in Advance!
Mar 15th, 2018, 05:38 PM

>>Are there trains operating 24 hours per day <<

nope. The last Eurostar leaves London @ 2030.

>>what I assume would be traffic leaving Canterbury<<

Can't imagine much traffic in Kent at that time of night - the site doesn't hold more than maybe 10-12,000. With such a small venue (comparatively) I wouldn't think there are charter buses from Paris. Can you spend the night and take a morning Eurostar or flight? The first Eurostar leaves London at 0540 and Ashford at 0624 getting you in to Paris just after 0900.
Mar 15th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj for taking the time to respond. There is a rush to get back since we will be just visiting Paris and heading to visit Brussels the next day. We'll have grandparents waiting for us in Paris due to visa regulations and we prefer not to leave alone for too long. Leaving the concert early would not be an option either. I am coming to realize I am trying to do the impossible. Best Wishes
Mar 16th, 2018, 12:50 AM

There are Eurotunnel trains which run in the night, though not with the same frequency as during the day. If you can hire a car, and will be allowed to take it to the UK it is possible to do a day trip to Canterbury. Whether it is sensible or not is another matter.
Have a look at www.eurotunnel.com.
Mar 16th, 2018, 01:55 AM

Michelin reckons about 4 hours 20 minutes for the 370km (230 miles) between Paris and Canterbury, although I am not sure if that includes the hour or so that the shuttle train will take. You also have to make allowance for the hours time differnce between England and France. That can be to your advantage, and sometimes not. One-day cross-channel trips by car or bus are easy and commonplace, but your situation means extra challenges.
Mar 16th, 2018, 05:40 AM

The ferries also run at night, and are cheaper, but of course take longer than going through the tunnel.
Mar 16th, 2018, 08:19 AM

Go back to London and club it all night until first Eurostar train?
Mar 16th, 2018, 08:30 AM

The Spitfire Ground, which is I assume what you mean, and the AHA concert? Anyway it is on the south side of Canterbury and you can get back to the A2 for Dover pretty easily from there. It's a bit further to the Tunnel, but if you are brave enough you can cut through from Barham to it, along some pretty narrow roads. Probably not a good idea if you are not use to driving in the UK, and on Kent roads in particular.
Perhaps getting a ferry would be a more relaxing oprion, as you can wander about or snooze on the crossing, which takes about 90 minutes, plus loading and unloading of course. The ferries run pretty much hourly through the night, and generally if you are early they will put you on the next one if there is space, and while they aren't so keen on you being late, they will try and get you on a ferry if you miss yours by just a small amount.
Still not sure it is a sensible thing to drive it unless you can share the driving, and the big question would be would the car rental place let you take a car to the UK.
Mar 16th, 2018, 03:59 PM

You could get the Eurostar next day all the way through to Brussels.
Mar 18th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

All, Thanks for the responses.

Hetismij2,
Thanks for taking the time to think about my posts and to provide great feedback. It is the A-ha concert. I am a US driver, the late night, driving on the opposite side of the road and ... the narrow roads are all probably too risky. Do you think an Uber driver may be able to get us to a station on time to make it back to catch a train and get back to Paris in good time? It almost seems like I need to plan on staying at an Airbnb or somewhere, relaxing and catching the first train back (hoping the Airbnb owner would allow an early checkout).
Hope things are well and Thanks Again!

Search this Thread