Reload this Page >

St. Remy-de-Provence dining

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2000, 10:26 PM
Daniel

Any suggestions for dining in and around St. Remy? We will be staying at Chateau des Alpilles in mid-September.

Old May 10th, 2000, 02:15 AM
jo ann

Daniel -- we stayed 3 nights at des Alpilles last July as part of a 2 week trip. We stayed mainly Relais & Chateau type quality the whole trip and ate at lovely spots, and I would have to tell you that of our favorite dining memories, the 2 nights that we ate at Chateau des Alpilles are highlights! I "worried" that we shouldn't repeat at the hotel, but ended up marveling at the quality and selection given that the 2nd night we were one of only 4 tables set for dinner. Staff was lovely, the ambiance incredible: it was stinky hot in the area (it was afterall July), we were pooped from our wanderings, and then you came back to the graveled patio with the enormous shade trees, and the temp seemed to drop 20 degrees. The food is prepared to such a standard that my daughter ended up photographing each meal to show her cousin (a student at a culinary school). <BR>Friends had highly recommended Assiette de Marie in St Remy, which was our 3rd night: good, but wouldn't repeat. Plus, their menu was not "local" (I forget which region the owners are from, but not as good in our opinions). <BR>When we get to return, I do hope to try Ousteau de Beaumaniere (sp?) in Les Baux, which has been recommended here in prior postings. <BR>Hope this helps!

Old May 11th, 2000, 04:13 PM
Terry

Daniel,We enjoyed our favorite meal in France in the tiny village of Egalyiere which is near St Remy. I think the name is the Bistro Egalyiere. It is fairly new and allready has one Michelin star!

Old May 15th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Ruth

We were just in St. Remy and also ate at the Assiete de Marie--food good but before we sat down, told us that their VISA machine was broken so they couldn't take credit cards. This was the third time this had happened so we began to wonder if it was a ploy to avoid taking credit cards. Anyway, that kind of put a damper on the meal, and the second course served right after the first-too fast for enjoyment. <BR> <BR>Also ate at the Aoili (I believe) which was a wonderful experience. Charming small restaurant, excellent food and nice leisurely service. Email me if you want me to check the exact name of it.

Old May 17th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Anthony

Daniel, We have stayed in St.Remy in each of the last seven years. We will be there in September as well. It is our favorite place. We prefer local restaurants with good food and service. One is "Gousse d'Ail" in the middle of town. Its proprietor and chef is Zhebby, an affable Dutchman, who speaks many languages. There are only 12 tables, make reservations. <BR> <BR>An other, for garden dining, is "La Source", also in town. <BR> <BR>I do not pretend to be a gourmet and can not afford Beaumaniere but I do know a restaurant with character and ambience when I experience it and both of these fit that bill. Bonne Chance!

Old May 18th, 2000, 08:05 PM
Mary

We spent a week in that area last year. We had previously had dinner at Ostau de Baumaniere (sp?). This time locals advised us to try Riboto de Taven (also in Le Baux). It was less expensive and wonderful meal. Went at lunch and sat outside on the terrace. <BR>We also ate at Assiette de Marie - thought it was fine for a lunch. They had things like lasagna. A cute place. <BR> <BR>Outside of Avignon we went twice to Le Prieure in Villeneuve le Avignon. It was wonderful, but terribly expensive. For example, I believe the pea soup served before the meal was about $23 per bowl! <BR> <BR>Another place we liked and that was highly recommended by local people was Mas de Tourteron. Can't remember the village. It is owned by a woman named Elisabeth - we were told she is one of the few well-known female chefs in France. <BR>Another place we enjoyed for lunch was Les Ramparts in Venasque - again an outside terrace with pretty view. <BR>Another day - lunch at La Bastide de Capelongue. They were very accommodating, as we (four of us) did not want a big meal, and they agreed to serve us soup and salad. Beautiful place, too. <BR>There are so many good restaurants in that area - it's hard to pick out just a few. <BR>

Old May 18th, 2000, 08:10 PM
Robin

Has anyone eaten at La Cabro d'Or in Les Baux?

Old May 19th, 2000, 03:29 AM
francois

Does that mean "The Golden Goat"?....just curious.

Old May 19th, 2000, 04:17 AM
Ellen

I only visited St. Remy on a day trip and didn't eat at any restaurant. All I remember is the wonderful smell of the rotisserie chickens cooking outside the food shops. It makes me salivate just thinking about it! <BR>Ellen

Old May 19th, 2000, 06:31 AM
lin gitterman

Mas de Tourteron is just outside of Gordes and is well worth the trip - fabulous. Just reading these messages transported me back to our wonderful trip to the same area last year; Saint Remy is paradise - has anyone been to Joel Durand chocolatier? I still have the box in my desk drawer and just look at it every so often to stir up memories. Ah, France!

Old May 19th, 2000, 09:38 AM
anthony

Daniel, Mary and Jim are oh so right about Mas de Tourteron. <BR> <BR>We were in the area last year during the lavender season, late June and early July. Peter Mayle recommended this restaurant in "Bon Appetit". It is a bit off the road that leads to Gordes. A small sign points it out. <BR> <BR>We had lunch outdoors under elm trees. It was a beautiful day and the meal that followed was certainly the best lunch that I ever had. The lady chef served cannette, female duck. We drank a wonderful rose with it. <BR> <BR>St. Remy is a paradise for those who seek serenity rather than Riviera glitz. Try to go that summer time of the year for there are a number of programs celebrating Provencal culture in St. Remy. There is a group called "La Repido" that performs dances, skits, etc., in provencal garb that is enchanting. <BR> <BR>The weekly market in St. Remy is on Wednesday and is not to be missed. God willing we return for our seventh straight trip to St. Remy this September. Bonne Route!!

Old May 22nd, 2000, 08:37 AM
Ruth

The Gousse d'Ail mentioned in Anthony's posting is the one in St. Remy that I was trying to remember--it was wonderful.