St. Patrick's Day Parade - Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best viewing location for the parade? I think I would like to buy grandstand seats -- any thoughts? Options for grandstands are Parnell or Westmoreland. We'll be busing from Clontarf Castle, but very willing to walk if possible through the crowds. Thanks so much!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:31 AM

Personally I would get seats in the Westmoreland area. Parnell is at the end of the parade and there is a good vibe around westmoreland and college Green. Just watiching from the street you can't plan just get a spot you can see. I have watched from the front of the Central Bank several years in a row. You can get the 130 bus from Clontarf and it will drop you just beside O'Connell Street near the bridge and its just a hop over to Westmoreland st. The bus stop is just at the side of Clontarf Castle.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick response SiobhanP! I was leaning towards the Westmoreland one, too. How bad will the crowds be? Thanks again for any advice you can give on this trip of a lifetime
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:31 PM

Hi LLBA;

We were in Dublin in 2004 for the parade and highly recommend sitting in the grandstands. There was a running commentary about the parade that really enhanced the experience.

There were large crowds, but all there to enjoy themselves. We enjoyed bar (pub) hopping and walking the streets.

We had a fabulous time.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM

Its busy and sometimes tough to get to the front and see if in the street but its not like the Macys parade in NY. You eventually find a way to see and some people with kids bring step stools or small ladders (mad I thought but good idea)