St.Pancras to Heathrow

Dec 29th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

St.Pancras to Heathrow

Hi all,

I am planning to visit UK next April. But I plan to visit Belgium in my last 3 day in the trip. I will travel via Eurostar and for my arrival, I would like to get Eurostar back to London to get a flight at Heathrow Airport. My flight is depart London at 10 pm. so If my Eurostar arrive at St.Pancras station around 6.05 pm. Which is the best way to go to Heathrow which is less expensive and get the flight in time

Thank you for your help.
Dec 29th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Assuming your train from Belgium arrives on time, you can take the Tube (Piccadilly line) from King's Cross/St Pancras straight to Heathrow - just follow the signs from the train station and make sure you take a train going to the correct terminal. It should take about an hour or a bit longer, so you should have enough time, though I wouldn't hang around at St Pancras.

Just a thought - have you looked into flying home directly from Belgium? That would be easier.
Dec 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Assuming a weekday, it'll be rush hour in the Tube. Not the best time if you have much luggage. Can you get an earlier train? You need a full 3 hours at Heathrow.
Dec 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Who knows what airport security will be next April. I personally would not consider arriving at St Pancras that close to my flight time.

I'd make sure to be in London by mid afternoon just in case. There are just too many "what if's".

Better yet would be to arrive in London the night before.

Best yet - change your flight to fly home from Brussels. Even if there is a change fee, it might be cheaper when you subtract the extra Eurostar ticket plus the higher departure fees from UK airports. Flying into London and out of Brussels would simplify everything . . .
Dec 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM

I wouldn't gamble with travelling on the Eurostar and flying out of LHR the same day. Yes, delays aren't the norm, but delays can happen. I was delayed about 3/4 hours on a Eurostar into Waterloo once. I would fly out of Brussels if possible. Or assuming you can only fly in and out of LHR for whatever reasons, travel to Brussels first and then visit London after Brussels. Sorry, I don't know your full itinerary so I'm not sure if your trip only involves London and Brussels.
Dec 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Where are you flying from/to before and after your trip?
Dec 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Just to clarify I should have written I was delayed 3 or 4 hours on the Eurostar, I did not mean to say I was delayed 3/4 (45 mins) of an hour. Sorry.
Dec 30th, 2009, 04:00 AM

I agree with the others that you are cutting it too fine, you need to allow more time in case of delays which do happen. Can you change to a Eurostar train that arrives at St Pancras earlier?

To get from St Pancras to Heathrow you have a number of options. Taxi will be the most expensive and it will be peak hour so you will probably get stuck in traffic. Train will be quicker.

You can get the tube all the way from St Pancras/Kings Cross (next door to each other) to Heathrow, be aware the trains go to different terminals. The tube will be the cheapest option but at peak hour it will be jam packed with commuters. You can still travel of course but it won't be comfortable, maybe standing all the way. If you have to queue to buy a tube ticket, allow an extra 20-30 mins unless you are happy to use a machine to get the ticket which would be quicker.

Or you could get the tube to Paddington then the Heathrow Express. You could even get the Heathrow Connect from Paddington to Ealing Broadway but I don't think that would save any time.

If you check the website for Heathrow Airport, the options for transport to the airport will all be laid out for you. Tube journey times and fares are on www.tfl.gov.uk

Kay
Dec 30th, 2009, 04:39 AM

Unless you are travelling at a weekend then arriving at 6:05pm is going to be a horrible and time consuming experience which will probably ensure that you miss your flight. Tubes, taxis and buses will be full of commuters so you might have a long wait before getting on any of these.

My advice is that you arrive in London the day before so that on the day of departure you are 20 miles instead of 400 miles from your flight home.

Remember it's YOU who will have to pay for one way full price tickets to fly home if you miss your flight
Dec 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM

You would spend your Eurostar journey anxious about late arrival into St Pancras. Kings Cross to Heathrow on the tube can easily take more than an hour, even if you know where to buy your ticket, which platform to head for, etc. It is possible that airline check-in times may be expanded with recent security troubles. I certainly wouldn't want to do your trip the way you are proposing.
Jan 16th, 2010, 05:35 AM

theunited, you don't seem to have responded yet! Have you decided what to do? In 2007 I needed to change a eurostar ticket due to a train timetable showing the train from Basel would arrive later in Paris than I had first thought. Eurostar kindly changed the train, even though it was a cheap ticket. If you already have your eurostar ticket, try now to see if they will change it for an earlier one, they may oblige.
Jan 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM

Ricardo_215: "you don't seem to have responded yet!"

This was the OPs first and only ever post and s/he hasn't been back at all. This happens a lot - folks register and either forget how to get back here or just don't like the answers and go away.