St. Moritz or Zermatt in Mid June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I will be in Switzerland for 8 days, I have planned 2 days Lucerne , 2 days lauterbrunnen, the i have 2 options

Option 1 - from Lauterbrunnen go to Lugano then take the Bernina express to St Moirtz and then stay there for 2 days

Option 2: from Lauterbrunnen go to Zematt take the glacier express to St Mortiz, then next day take the Bernina expredd to Lugano and then to Zurich for the flight back home

I am not sure if I should either go an stay in Zermatt or just skip Zermatt and stay 2 days in St Moritz .

we are not going to be either hiking or skiing ... but I am not sure about the weather if its too cold to stay in St Moritz in Mid June.

if you can think of any other option or which one you prefer

thanks
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone else told you earlier (on a different forum) that Option 1 is not doable. This is still true. The Bernina Express bus leaves leaves Lugano at 10 am - no chance in hell you'll arrive in Lugano from Lauterbrunnen that early in the day. An overnight in Lugano would be required.

You could do it with a detour via Milan or Monza in Italy, though. Makes no sense to me.

St. Moritz and Zermatt will have about the same temperatures anytime of the year. Nobody knows yet whether it's going to be warm or cold on the two days you'll be there.

I would add the days to Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen. There is more than hiking in those areas. A cruise on the lakes, seeing a castle or two, exploring the old towns ... museums, churches, glass manufacturing show in Hergiswil/Lucerne. And so on.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You realize that when you say you are taking the "Bernina Express" to or from Lugano that segment Lugano-Tirano is actually the so-called Bernina Express Bus, right?

I've enjoyed both the Glacier and the Bernina (the rail portions) and each have their plusses and minuses IMO. You really need to devote a pretty much full day for either one of them.

As to Zermatt and St. Moritz; I find the latter sterile. I like Zermatt a bit more even though some find it a bit contrived but there's nothing like going up above to view the Matterhorn and the Monte Rosa Massif IF the weather cooperates.

I am certain there will be a LOT of other comments on your proposal.