Is Lugano worth the visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading quite a bit on suggested areas of Switzerland to visit and I don't see many topics regarding the Swiss/Italian lake districts. My wife and I will be traveling strictly in country for (11 nights) and I was planning on staying 2 nights in Lugano. Arriving by William Tell Express and departing on the Berina Express route on to Chur. Next day on the GE to Montreux. Am I misguided by taking these routes?
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM

Lugano is worth your time, but I have never understood what that has to with the Bernina Express, which departs from St. Moritz. Are you taking a bus from Lugano?
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Ditto what bob said regarding Lugano - it's a pretty place and just because it's not mentioned a lot doesn't mean you won't like it.

As for the Bernina Express, it travels the north-south route Tirano to Chur, through St Moritz, with an express bus connecting Lugano to Tirano. The massive windows going halfway along the roof on the train are worth the journey alone!
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:08 PM

Hi YOLO,

I'm also confused about your statement that you'll take the GE to Montreux. Of course, the GE does not go to Montreux; it runs between St. Moritz and Zermatt. Montreux is about 2h30 or so from Zermatt.

I would caution you against having too much travel during your Swiss trip. As nice as you imagine the views are from a train window, the experience is vastly surpassed by getting yourself on top of a mountain or onto an Alpine trail. You'll have a five-senses experience, and time to savor it and remember it, rather than just sitting and watching stuff through a tv-sized window.

I do love trains, but I love them as transportation, not as a destination in themselves!

If I were you, I would spend two or three nights in St. Moritz (or the area) adn/or two or three nights in Zermatt.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:10 PM

Oh, btw, I wouldn't say that Lugano is a great destination. One time I planned to spend a week there but left after about four nights because I couldn't take any more. It's rather a big-type city with lots of traffic, noise, bustle, etc. If you like cities, you might enjoy it. If you want a more quiet and peaceful time, you could go to Locarno or even Ascona.

Have fun!

s
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:59 PM

We visit Lugano every three months and think it's well worth a visit. It can be very pleasant for a short break. Take a lake cruise and/or the funiculars up one of the mountains (Monte Bre or San Salvatore). Have lunch at Bottegone del Vino (get there by noon if you want a table, it's very popular). Wander the city park, check out the exhibition at the museum. Walk to the villages of Morcote or Gandria. You could even ride the tram that goes all the way to the Ponte Tresa bridge (Italian border).
FWIW, I thought St. Moritz was AWFUL. I couldn't wait to get out of it. IMO, it's the worst choice for that part of the country.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 10:12 PM

The Olive Tree path from Lugano to Grandria is a wonderful walk, wander around Grandria, stop for something to eat and drink then take the ferry back. Very pleasant way to spend a day.
Details can be found at the TI office in Lugano.