st.germain apartment

Search

st.germain apartment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
st.germain apartment

Hi, I think my husband and I are finally going to get to Paris in late October. I'm looking at vrbo #66278. I really want to be in St.Germain and this looks like a good location. Any comments on location and apartment? Thanks, Summer
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 09:38 AM

Hi, you're really fortunate to be heading to Paris' St. Germain des Pres area. Could you please either provide a street address or provide the link to the apartment you're interested in? It's a bit difficult to look up on the VRBO site for that particular one.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM

Just type the number in the search box on the left side of the home page.

Looks great and a very good price.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM
Neopolitan

It really looks like a wonderful apartment. I'm having a difficult time with the actual location however, as they list four Metro stations fairly distant to each other. It would be nice to check out an actual address on pages jaunes, although I somehow doubt it is a major issue.
I'm a bit surprised that for such a luxurious apartment the bed is only what appears to be a standard double size -- but that's up to you as to whether it meets your needs.

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM

summer, it's a nice looking apartment. I love the big windows and the view looks appealing. The wireless internet access certainly turns my head, but that may not be a drawing card for you.

Out of curiosty, I just compared the size of this apartment to one I rented near Bastille in February (www.vrbo.com/24464). The two have the same area in total, but mine had only one bedroom, with a queen size bed. That suggests to me that the two bedrooms in the place you are looking at are a bit smaller, but that might not be a concern for you. (I am assuming you want a two-bedroom apartment rather than a one-bedroom.)

We haven't stayed in the St-Germain area, so I can't comment on that part of it.

Anselm
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:30 AM
Neopolitan

I got the impression that the second bedroom in this apartment (that shares the bath between them and has a single bed which strangely converts) is not much of a bedroom and probably a non issue in reducing the square footage. In fact it sounds like it might serve as a great "dressing room" for the main bedroom (which seems also to be very small) and the single bed might even be a great place to lay out the luggage to live out of.

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:47 PM

Neopolitan, I like that idea of using the connecting bedroom as a dressing room and a place to spread out luggage.

Anselm
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. The beds do seem small, but I think that won't bother us too much. We'll be there Oct. 20 to 27th. From research the weather should be nice then.

The airline tickets from Indianapolis are pretty high right now($900) so I guess I'll wait a bit on buying them.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM

The location does seem questionable. If you get the address, you can check it out..or, maybe you don't care....
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM

The address is 60 rue des ecoles. You might want to go to Pages Jaune and type that in. It will give you photos of the building.

The apartment looks nice, gets good reviews from prior tenants (that is where I found the address).

Rue Des ecoles is kind of a busy street - hopefully others will weigh in. I think of it more as the 5th than the 6th.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:34 PM

Yes, this would be in the 5th..south of St. Germain and east of St. Michel.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
Neopolitan

How strange that the owners clearly advertise it as being in the 6th!

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

okay, now I'm getting nervous!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 03:32 PM

I believe it is in the 6th, it goes across from St Germain to St Michel..unless I am thinking of another street.
The apt is really nice, I like it a lot. And I like the area a lot
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 03:34 AM

Summer, I am renting this apartment on mabillon which is right in the middle of St Germain Des Pres

http://www.vrbo.com/79795

The owner seems very nice and she lives in the states, a retired French professor and author.

John
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:14 AM

According to my '05 edition of Paris Pratique Par Arrondissement, it is in the 5th. However, it's just a short block from Boul. St. Michel, where the 6th begins.

Can't comment on what noise from the st. would be like, but it's a nice location.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM

Yes, rue des Ecoles ends at St. Michel, wihich is the dividing line for 5th and 6th...if you like it and all else is fine..go for it!! Enjoy
Joan
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think at this point we will go ahead with this apartment. I think the balcony, view, and amount of room look great. If I'm not exactly in St.Germain I will be very close. Also, the fact that the vrbo bear visited gives me more confidence ( I hope not false!)