St Emilion Trip Report

Search

St Emilion Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Emilion Trip Report

Had a fantastic long weekend recently in St Emilion.

Arrived on a low cost airline from the UK (£3 each return plus taxes) at Bordeaux and hired a car to drive to St Emilion. On arrival we were breathless at the beauty and history of the place. We found our hotel - Hostellerie Plaisance and then did a walking tour of the village. It became clear quite quickly that there was nothing else in the village other than restaurants and wine shops (and we were later to discover that most of the restaurants were closed in the evenings).

We took our time walking around with a glass of wine in one place and a hot chocolate in another, and then took the tourist train through the vineyards which was great - so atmospheric.

The first evening we dined at the hotel and opted for the degustation menu with surprise wines. Amazingly expensive, but truly one of the best meals we experienced in the whole of our lives (ignoring the cold dining room).
Saturday we ate at a local restaurant Envers Du Decor which had a gorgeous 3 course menu for €25 - fantastic value for the quality.

We went to wine school one day; 2 hours and they tell you about the Bordeaux region, the importance of mixing grapes delivering the end taste, and you get to do some sniff tests and tastes. Our English class was at 3pm, I think the French one is at 11am.

The hotel was superb, I have to say one of the best I have ever stayed in. We had small standard room for €120/night. I thought it was going to be like a cupboard. It was actually bigger than many other rooms that don't tell you they are small. It was great value for that quality of the hotel.

Lastly, because of time constraints we decided to have our final lunch at the formal dining restaurant at Bordeaux airport (after a recommendation from another Fodor writer). It was excellent, we forgot we were in an airpot, but still had the comfort of knowing we were checked in.

I would say that if you are into good wines, food, and atmospheric villages then St Emilion would be perfect. Be warned though - there are no shops other than those that sell wine, and most of the bars and restaurant are closed in the evening (at least in November - perhapsd it's different in the summer season).

We both agreed it's one of the best weekends we have had in a long time.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM

anna, our favorite wine is St Emilion.
Bordeaux is on my list for a trip in the future.
Your weekend sounded super.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. We spent a Sunday in St. Emilion last fall--found it touristy, but enjoyed the overall ambiance, architecture and view of the vinyards.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Sounds like a really lovely weekend trip. I was sorry I didn't have time for St. Emilion when I was in the Dordogne area last May. Next time I will!
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 06:46 AM
ira

Hi anna,

>Arrived on a low cost airline from the UK (£3 each return plus taxes) at Bordeaux ....<

Go ahead, rub it in. It cost us $700 ea.

Glad you enjoyed St. Emilion. Thanks for sharing.

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM

What? You didn't see all the macaron shops?