St Albans--comments?

Old May 7th, 2003, 05:04 PM
CJS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Albans--comments?

We are planning a trip--quite soon--and staying in St. Albans. Anyone 'been there, done that' and ready to recommend or comment? We plan some day trips to London, but also want to see things in and around St. Albans.

The only qualifier--we are non drivers--at least in UK, perserving the safety of all concerned. THANKS for any comments/advice.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:45 PM

I'm active in community theatre and here in Naples, Florida we have a "tie" with the Company of Ten in St. Alban's. We've exchanged shows a couple of times. Once while performing our show there, we were lent a house by one of their members for six of us and we stayed for two full weeks. After doing the show the first week, we spent the second week hopping on the train and going into London every day or evening. The journey is easy, cheap, and less than an hour. Although we rented a car for the two weeks, we did the trips into London by train -- so you really won't miss having a car.

St. Alban's itself is a delightful town. The cathedral is a don't miss, as is a visit to Veralaneum (OK, I'm sure I spelled that wrong) -- one of the largest of the old Roman towns in the UK. Market days on the High Street are fun, and a stroll through the large and beautiful park is great. There quite a few wonderful pubs and restaurants -- including one that claims to be the oldest in the UK.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM
CJS
Original Poster

Lucky you. Stayed for a week in 2003 at a delightful B&B. Wonderful breakfasts and Basil the dog. A true English experience. Only 20 minutes into Kings Cross--but let the morning crowd go first and you'll get a seat. Cathedral, yes. Town and Market Day (Wed. and Sat. I think) terrific. Do not miss Hatfield House, where Queen Elizabeth lived as a child. It's a short bus ride away--tourist office or anyone can give you right bus number. Delightful. Zizzi's is a good Italian place and Beau/Bow Thai a very nice eatery. There is a small museum around Verulanium--it was fantastic. Soak up all you can in St. Albans, a fine town.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
the OP was asking in 2003!!!!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CJS was the OP.