Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is St Catherine's House in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About thirty years ago I went to an interview with a UK civil servant, to find out about getting access to my adoption files. I am sure that the interview took place in St Catherine's House (though I'm not sure about the spelling) on Kingsway.

On a recent trip to London I found myself by chance on what I thought was the same corner, but couldn't see any building called St Catherine's House. The closest thing was, I think, Victoria House, but that didn't seem quite right. It was a few hundred years further north than I remembered, and much bigger.

I know for sure that the interview took place all those years ago, but wonder whether I am completely deluded about the location. Can anyone help?
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM

When I want to locate anything, I type it into google and hit &quot;Maps.&quot; Try it with <b>st catherines house london</b> and you will see.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM

St Catherine's House used to be where one could go to look up information on births, marriages and deaths, so it was probably the place where you went about adoption files. It was on the corner of Aldwych and Kingsway.

About ten or eleven years ago, the records were moved to a new building in Myddelton Street near Sadlers Wells and Finsbury Town Hall. The national census records were also moved there and the building named The Family Records Centre.

Now that so many of these records can be used online, and with budget pressures, The Family Records Centre is due to close in 2008, and the records moved to The National Archives at Kew.