Springtime in Germany...

Jan 21st, 2000, 08:22 AM
ellen

Springtime in Germany...

Have an opportunity to go to Germany & Austria end of March/first week of April. Would like to drive the Romantic Road, see Ludwig's castle, Munich, & Salzburg. I realize no one can predict weather but I'd appreciate any advice.

Jan 21st, 2000, 08:40 AM
kay

Grab the opportunity and go! I was in Germany in late March 1997 and it was nippy but great! Rothenburg was delightful, little dusting of snow, no crowds whatsoever. And with global warming, who knows--you could even have higher temperatures. Similarly, I was in Salzburg in grey, rainy November 1998 and it was delightful. Couldn't imagine it with the hoardes that are there in the summer, would hurt the whole experience. I have learned to give up the sun and flowers of high season for no crowds and a pleasant in the ambience in fall and early spring.

Jan 21st, 2000, 12:57 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I agree with Kay---go for it. You will
have PA weather in Germany at that time
but you could get lucky. I was there
about a month later last year and it was
great. Salzburg and Rothenburg are good
anytime, but the Bavaria mountains can
be a bit chilly.

Jan 21st, 2000, 01:55 PM
gary

Hi, Ellen: We'll be visiting Munich and Salzburg same time frame as you. Everyone says chilly but no real problems getting around. You can find more info at www.salzburginfo.or.at
There's also munich-online which has good info on things to do. You can e-mail us at [email protected] if you want to compare notes. Cheers, Gary and Carol.

Jan 21st, 2000, 02:44 PM
Al

If you have a raincoat with a zip-in lining, you will be glad you did. Dress in layers. The weather along that route can be very changeable then. By all means, GO.

Jan 21st, 2000, 02:44 PM
susanne

just returned from germany salzburg for]
the christmas-new year week. since our family lives in a small town in bavaria, we go back and forth at all times of the year. it's cold, and damp and grey. dress appropropriately. we were in rothenburg in april and the temperature was in the 30's. it is beautiful however and take the opportunity to go. try to visit wurzburg, rothenburg au main, ludwigs castle, nuremburg. the romantic road seems endless when you want to get somewhere. the autobahns faster. little walled towns are all over the bavarian area. if you can stop in the little town of Iphofen where the famous wine is made, there is a charming small hotel in the walled village and an italian restaurant that sits next to the railroad station that has food to die for. also in nuremburg next to the city center museum is a great sushi restaurant and also in salzburg sits a little japanese restaurant with excellent sushi as well. (we like japanese food.)
little known village of Iphofen makes fine wines and has a charming little hotel.