Reload this Page >

first time italy travelers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 04:21 PM
sally rief

Dear fellow fodorites, <BR>My husband and I will be traveling to Italy for two weeks. We are interested in the following hotels: Venice-Hotel American, Florence -Loggiato dei serviti, Rome-Brittania Hotel, San Gimignano-La Cisterna, Assisi-Umbra or Hotel dei Priori. Can anyone help with personal experience regarding these hotels? We would greatly appreciate real opinions. Ciao, Sally

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 04:16 AM
ralphie

I stayed at the Dei Priori in Assisi four years ago. I enjoyed it. It wasn't particularly luxurious, but it was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good (blood orange juice!). I would stay there again. The last time I visited Assisi was two years ago, just after the earthquake. It was closed when I walked by, but so was about 90% of the town, due to the earthquake recovery efforts. Hope that helps. <BR> <BR>I haven't stayed at the Hotel American in Venice, but I have walked by it. All I can say about it (besides having a peculiar name) is that it is in a location that I personally prefer--in Dorsoduro not too far from the Accademia. This is a quieter part of Venice, away from the tourist stampedes, yet still not very far from San Marco. <BR> <BR>Those are my real opinions! have a good trip.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Dona

Sally, <BR> <BR>I stopped into the American Hotel in Venice last year - because it looked so pretty. I didn't personally see the rooms, but I got a brochure - it looked lovely and the location is off the beaten path in a very inateresting part of Venice. I have recommended it to friends... <BR> <BR>Ihave also considered Loggiato dei serviti in Florence - have not stayed there but stopped in to see it. The lobby looks very nice - though a bit stark. The reviews on this hotel have been positive. I have opted for the Monna Lisa, the Hermitage or the Lungarno... <BR> <BR>Have also visited La Cisterna in San Gimignano and have heard good things about it. It's right in the central plaza of the town - which is highly touristy. Some people may not like that... <BR> <BR>And I have considered the Hotel Umbra on a visit to Assisi - but didn't get there. <BR> <BR>That is not a lot of Direct experience - but it's the best I can do... <BR> <BR>Hope it helps...

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Marija

La Cisterna has incredible views from the balcony/terrace. The rooms were comfortable but the panorama was extraordinary. The Mr. Ripley film features La Cisterna as the hotel the ladies are kept in.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 12:01 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Well, not quite. Mr. Ripley was not in <BR>San Gimignano---that is the wrong movie. <BR>Try " Tea with Mussolini" and the hotel is also featured in " Where Angels Fear <BR>to Tread" Right place---wrong movie. <BR>By the way, I prefer the Antico Pozzo as <BR>a good 3 star in S. G. but La Cisterna <BR>is not bad and has great food.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Jane

Sally, <BR>I don't have personal experience with the Hotel American, but 5 years ago a friend stayed there and found it quite dreary. Another friend stayed at the Locanda Montin (also 5 yrs. ago) and found it charming - rather artsy ambience and his room looked into an inner courtyard. The Locanda Montin is a well-regarded restaurant with a few rooms upstairs. However, you should ask whether they have any rooms with private bath (his didn't). <BR> <BR>Other hotels in that price range which have been recommended by this forum are: <BR>Agli Alboretti (Dorsoduro) <BR>Pensione Seguso (Dorsoduro) <BR>Albergo al Gambero (Rialto) <BR>You can do a search under those names for first-hand experiences. <BR> <BR>We are trying our luck with La Calcina in May. IMO, the location is the best in Venice (Dorsoduro), and their rates are reasonable. Sorry I can't help with any other locations. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 02:55 PM
sally

Thank you all for your messages. This web site has not been working for me until today and I was excited to see replies posted. I just watched Tea with Mussolini and thoroughly enjoyed the scenes of Florence and Sam Gimignano. I can't wait to see Italy for myself! You all make it sound so interesting and supply great information. Thanks again, Sally