Reload this Page >

Spring in Ireland

Search

Spring in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:48 AM
anon

Spring in Ireland

How early in spring is Ireland landscape "green"? We were amazed to see leaves and flowers in full bloom in SW France and even Switzerland in mid-April last year. Are trees fully leafed out in Ireland by then, as well? (Where we live, in the northern US we don't see green foliage and flowers until the end of May.)

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:46 AM
Gary

The trees are in full bloom by mid-April in Ireland. In Ireland, springtime begins in mid-January and trees will start blooming in early March.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Bill

Things don't really "green up" until May. I have photos taken in early May and the leaves are not in full bloom on many trees. It's still pretty green by then in late April and early May.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Dave

I spent the first two weeks of April 2000 in Ireland and was a bit disappointed at the lack of green in the Emerald Isle during that time. Still, it was a great trip.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:11 PM
dubliner

so much depends on the year. can range from end of feb. to mid may.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:51 AM
cindy

we will be traveling to ireland the end of march .and wantto get the most of the 10 day there .w3e land in dublin .should we go down around the cost south or to the west cost?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:25 AM
dubliner

South.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Bill

This same question is on another thread. It seems the a mjority of people suggest the southwest...Cork/Kinsale to the Cliffs of Moher. Of course, that means that's where the majority of people go. If you are there in March, crowds will not be a problem, so I would say go to the SW. Remember, there is usually a reason that places are popular with tourists...they are pretty special.<BR><BR>None-the-less, Donegal is spectacular, the glens of Antrim are magical, and the list goes on. Get a couple of good guide books and pick the areas that you think you can visit in your time there....and then cut the list in half. Most experienced travelers will suggest staying in each area 2-3 days at a minimum, but lots of people just go from town to town.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>Bill