Reload this Page >

Santa Margarita Ligure Without a Car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Sonja

For those not wishing to rent a car, are SML and neighboring areas like Portofino and Cinque Terre easily covered by public transport? Any hotel recommendations in SML?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Ck

Any replies out there?<BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:57 PM
ruby

Any resturant recommendations for this area?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:04 PM
m kane

As I recall, SML is about a fifteen minute bus ride from Portofino. There's also a boat which takes about twenty minutes. Both are inexpensive, just a couple of bucks. SML is right on the train line that goes to Cinque Terre -- takes about an hour.<BR><BR>Hotel Continental in SML is nice.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:34 AM
sml

tp

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Genevieve

Relating to this topic, if not driving, how do you get to SML on arrival in Italy, and which airport is best to fly into from NY? Is Hotel Continental centrally located?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Dayle

We stayed 3 nights in SML and did Portofino via boat and Cinque Terre via local train. No problems. We stayed at Hotel Laurin right on the marina and had a nice room with a large private terrace. Breakfast (included) left a lot to be desired, but hotel overall was OK. Had dinner one night at La Cambusa. Seemed to be very popular and was very good. Also had a wonderful long lazy lunch with lots of wine at one of the waterside cafes in Portofino but I can't remember the name.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Jim

Sonja,<BR>A terrific place to stay in Santa Margherita is Villa Gnocchi, a B&B high in the hills overlooking Santa Maragherita harbor. We will be staying there this summer for the second time.<BR>The owner, Roberto Gnocchi will pick you up at the train station. He speaks perfect english. Room with half pension is about 115 Euros/nite. It is a 10 minute walk downhill from Villa Gnocchi to town-Take the bus back up. Trains leave regularly from S.M. to the Cinque Terre and wherever. This place is also listed in Karen Browns book. I can't believe I'm telling you about this place. http://www.karenbrown.com/italy/villagnocchi.html