Spring 2022 Road Trip - Germany/Austria

Old Sep 29th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring 2022 Road Trip - Germany/Austria

Hi all!

I will be travelling with my 2 boys, 12 and 14, to Europe next April. They are great travellers, German speakers, and this is their 4th multi-week international trip. We plan to fly into Vienna and fly out of Berlin (LAX is home). We have visits planned in Berlin, Vienna area, Augsburg area, and Stuttgart area to visit friends and accommodations are covered. We will have a car, as our friends all live off the beaten path and we will turn the car in when we get to Berlin. Learning from past road trips, we will overnight anywhere we have more than 4 hours in the car per driving directions which gives me a stretch between Vienna and Bad Woerishofen, as well as Vienna to Berlin that I am seeking advice for.

1. A natural stop between Vienna and Bad Woerishofen is Salzburg, but we've all been there before several times. Any suggestions for a night or two in between that I haven't thought of?

2. Berlin to Vienna lends itself to Prague. I love Prague, but is Tabor a better stop for a short visit? Do we overnight in Tabor and stop for a few hours in Prague? The thought of dealing with a car and trying to see Prague may not be worth it. The other option is Vienna to Berlin via Regensburg. I am less familiar with that stretch of Germany, so would appreciate any insight on places to stop.

This will be my 13th or 14th trip to Germany, so I am very aware of the usual cities and towns to stop in, so am looking for suggestions that might be different especially with a pre-teen and teen boy in tow. Our must sees currently are: 11 year old best friend in Berlin, dairy cows on friend's farm near Vienna, friend's baby in Bad Woerishofen, and friend and her Oma near Stuttgart. Oh, and the Porsche Museum. We have no agenda, but would love any must-sees or off-the-beaten path recommendations!

Thank you!!

Old Sep 30th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Re. #1: You don't mention if you've been to any of the lakes south of Salzburg such as Hallstatt, St. Wolfgangsee, Mondsee, Attersee, etc. but if you haven't and since you'll have a car it might be worth several days for you.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 04:03 PM

Berlin to Vienna - just wondering if you had considered Dresden as an early stop? I don't know Tabor but I have been to Brno and also to Prague on separate trips from a base in Vienna by train, and from Prague to Dresden by train also. Dresden might be a little early but it is a really good destination. Your other alternative, via Regensburg, is really a lot longer but you might stop in Leipzig and Nürnberg. Nürnberg in particular would be a good place to break, lots to see. I have not done Nürnberg to Vienna by road since 1988 so I will bow out of commenting except to say that the tour bus I did it on had an overnight in Regensburg and then a picturesque day on the bus to Vienna via Melk. Maybe you will find someone else to comment here

Lavandula
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 04:13 PM

On your way to Salzburg there is:

In Vienna:

Old Oct 7th, 2021, 06:18 AM

Some suggestions

Hi Wendy,

I cannot say much about Tabor, unfortunately. To me it seems to be a quite small city so I´m not sure if there´s much to see.

For your way from Vienna to Bad Woerishofen (via Salzburg) here´s some suggestions which may be of interest for you:

In Austria:
Giant Ice Caves in Werfen

The Schafbergbahn

Dachstein glacier

The Dachstein area not too close to the A1 motorway so it may be a bit too time consuming.

In Germany:

Right after the Austrian/German border
Kehlsteinhaus

Near Rosenheim (on the way to Munich)
Summer Tobogan Slide - Marquartstein

In Munich:
Olympiapark Muenchen Roof climb

Quite close to Bad Woerishofen
Allgäu Skyline Park

There´s web sites available for all of these locations. The web site of skyline park is held in German, only but their ticket shop is available in english and gives you a good overview about their offers.

I hope it helps a bit. Let me know if you look for something particular.

Old Oct 8th, 2021, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Lakes are always great and I may look for a place to stay around one of them.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

I haven't been to Vienna in years, but definitely will make it a full stop and not just a layover! Beautiful pictures.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ml871 View Post
Hi Wendy,

I cannot say much about Tabor, unfortunately. To me it seems to be a quite small city so I´m not sure if there´s much to see.

For your way from Vienna to Bad Woerishofen (via Salzburg) here´s some suggestions which may be of interest for you:

In Austria:
Giant Ice Caves in Werfen

The Schafbergbahn

Dachstein glacier

The Dachstein area not too close to the A1 motorway so it may be a bit too time consuming.

In Germany:

Right after the Austrian/German border
Kehlsteinhaus

Near Rosenheim (on the way to Munich)
Summer Tobogan Slide - Marquartstein

In Munich:
Olympiapark Muenchen Roof climb

Quite close to Bad Woerishofen
Allgäu Skyline Park

There´s web sites available for all of these locations. The web site of skyline park is held in German, only but their ticket shop is available in english and gives you a good overview about their offers.

I hope it helps a bit. Let me know if you look for something particular.
A friend also mentioned Skyline Park, so it must be worth the visit! We missed the ice caves the last time we went through, but you jogged my mind about our stop at Burg Hohenwerfen and how much we enjoyed it!! May have to revisit it. Thanks for all of the good ideas!
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 03:51 PM

Re. Hohenwerfen: if you didn't see the falconry demonstration is it worthwhile.

https://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/ho...tory/falconry/