Reload this Page >

Sport Coat for Italy?

Search

Sport Coat for Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Chris

Sport Coat for Italy?

Message: Hi - My husband and I are going to Italy for 2 weeks in late Sept. with a tour (Gate 1). I am trying to shop now for clothes we will need. I am looking on opinions on whether he should bring a sport jacket or not. Also whether he will need dress shirts and ties or will just a dres shirt with no tie and Dockers do for dinners? We don't plan on any very expensive dinners but are notsure what kinds of places the tour will take us (they provide about 5 dinners).<BR>Any ideas where we can buy an inexpensive microfiber sport jacket?? Cheaper than Magellan's or Tilly's? Thanks!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Trent

My wife and I just got back from Rome, Florence, and Venice. I don't think you will ever need a sportcoat or tie. We ate at the outdoor cafes/restaurants and about any attire is acceptable. Italians do not wear shorts but many tourists do. We found Italy very easygoing

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Rex

I think that a blazer is a very worthwhile item of clothing to pack.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Deloris

Just got back and my husband was glad he took a jacket, because the nicer restaurants require them. You can be very casual if you want the cafe thing.<BR>Ties can be purchased in shops in Venice, etc from $12 up and the same quality you pay $50 up in US stores.<BR>Of course they sell $100 ones too but <BR>I defy you to tell the difference.<BR>Decide how dressy you want to be and there is a place for it!<BR>Ciao!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:11 PM
tonyccc

Chris;<BR> In my humble opinion, don't get microfiber. Microfiber just doesn't breathe, and you may have some warm days/nights in Sept.<BR> Opt instead for a Wool/Linen<BR>blend or a tropical weight wool.<BR>He should be able to find something stylish to wear both on vacation and when you return. <BR>Microfiber..what a marketing job...<BR>when they called it polyester (which it is)no one wanted it, but now it's<BR>become popular again.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:36 PM
xx

Trent, my wife and I just got back from Italy and discovered that you don't need fork and knife, either. Why do eveyone change their eating habits just to "blend in"?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Ken

A lightweight blazer is appropriate occasionally but as an even lighter weight alternative I take a cardigan. Packs easier than a sport jacket and doesn't hold wrinkles. Gives a bit dressier look without being overdressed. A lot less expensive too.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:16 AM
ebt

It's amazing how much better and nicer treatment and service you receive when you are dressed nicely!<BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:19 AM
MHS

If Gate 1 is like Globus, etc., the included dinners are in the hotel -- certainly no tie or jacket required. Since my husband wears jacket & tie every day for work, vacation (except for a cruise) is always No tie/jacket. We have never had a problem in Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, England, Holland, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Poland, Sweden, and we have eaten at nice places as well as the street cafe. Dockers & golf shirt (or whatever those casual knit or cotton shirts with a collar are called) go everywhere very well, including concert at La Chapelle or dinner at L Alhambra. Bring a light-weight jacket in darkish neutral color that will double as a rain jacket. Works well if evening is cool or day is wet.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Mari

Chris, where in Itlay are you going? We spent 2 weeks last summer in the Sorrento area. We dined in very nice restaurants whenever we went out to eat. My husband never needed a jacket - he wore very nice summer weight trousers and a silk shirt. <BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Hiho

I think that hubby will look very smart in a pareau (which I have been urging people of both sexes to wear this summer). Motto: Have pareau, no jacket required!