Spoleto or Perugia to return car/get train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if any of you have experience with these towns. Looks like we can drop off our rental car at either one and catch the train to Rome. I’d love to l know if one is more convenient than the other. (As in getting in and getting out) Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 09:18 AM

don't know about Spoleto but Perugia itself I've been to many times and if on the hill in town tough but train station where you can probably return is at bottom of hill and well away from any hectic traffic. Spoleto assume same and is closer to Rome than Perugia.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 09:24 AM

Spoleto station is also at the bottom of the hill and easily accessible by bus so I'm going to hope by car as well. Have you googled the layouts yet?

Sighing for Italia....

Last edited by TDudette; Jun 9th, 2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 10:18 AM

I'd prefer Spoleto all other things being equal. Traffic getting into Perugia can be heavy depending on the time of day and there's often road work in that area. That said, where are you staying in Umbria? That may influence my answer.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, people. We are getting our car through AutoEurope thanks to the many people who recommend them. They've been good to work with, but we haven't nailed it yet because the itinerary changes. We'd planned to stay three nights in the Marche and rather than driving UP to Acona, thought driving down would make sense. That was when we were planing to stay in a little village called Petriolo. Now, I'm considering a last tweak and staying closer to Spello and Assisi. Don't ask.. So, when we talk to them I need to make sure we can drop the car off in Spoleto because a Google search seems to indicate a simpler process there. Thanks again to you all.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 06:10 AM

DH and I loved Spoleto as a base for travel to Assisi, Spello and Orvieto by train.

Here's my TR (go to August 19 for Spoleto):

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...gio-tr-947180/

Last edited by TDudette; Jun 10th, 2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: fix link
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 07:12 AM

We’ve stayed twice in Spello and rented from the Europcar location in Foligno. We’ve gotten very good service there and it’s a short drive from Spello. The only drawback is that it’s not adjacent to the train station. Europcar has driven us to the station both times so we could catch the train to Rome, but I don’t think it’s a given. I’m sure they’d be happy to call a taxi instead. It’s not that long of a walk if you don’t have much luggage.

Just one more option to consider. We love Spello as a base. It’s a beautiful town and is easy to get in/out of for touring the rest of Umbria. Assisi, Montefalco and Bevagna are all 20 minutes or less away. Spoleta is a bit livelier and the duomo there is spectacular IMO.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 08:51 AM

We liked the train station better in Spoleto but enjoyed Spello. Out hotel restaurant was so spectacular, we didn't do dinner justice to any other place!
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. Dudette I read your trip report, thank you. and although it has been awhile ago, I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. That was heartbreaking to read after all the fun reporting. I’m actually looking at Foligno now, having seen this option as a drop off. I found a nice apartment on Airbnb at the base of Assisi that seems very convenient with parking, etc.

Honestly I’m paralyzed by research and decision making. I keep going back and forth from Umbria to Marche to just staying in Abruzzo because there is so much to explore there, and a day trip to Ascoli would be very easy. Italy really is an embarrassment of riches, no?
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends what you want to do and see. Spello will feel very touristy after Abruzzo and even Le Marche. However, if you love art Umbria is no joke. Assisi is amazing.

Just how long is this trip and where else are you going?

I'd say Spoleto, which I visited for the first time a couple years ago, would be easier to drop your car off than Perugia.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 09:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We recently returned our car in Foligno, after a driving holiday through Le Marche and Umbria, which worked out very well. If your AutoEurope rental is through Europcar, please note that the Europcar location has moved slightly further away to Via Monte Sella, 3, 06034, Foligno - for some reason Google maps etc. still show it as Viale Firenze, 14A, 06034 Foligno. They had someone drop us to the station to take our train to Rome. There's also a petrol station just around the corner to tank up before return.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 12:06 AM

Thanks for that heads up ANJU! We’re headed back to Umbria next year.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 06:18 AM

An embarrassment of riches for sure, Rocket79. Thanks for your kind words--the wonderful, fun trips make me more happy than regretful.

Have a wonderful trip and please report back. If you think you goofed, you can always go back to Bella Italia!
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 07:08 AM

It sounds as though you want to drop the car off in a convenient spot, only to take the train to Rome. If you're not looking for a base for travel by public transportation, then Spoleto is undoubtedly the best choice. It's right on the main rail line from Ancona to Rome. I've never dropped a car off there, but we've driven into Spoleto several times. It's near the main highway from Rome to the Adriatic coast, and there has never been any particular problem. Like all towns, it has a ZTL, but I would imagine your rental agency is outside the ZTL.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leely2
Depends what you want to do and see. Spello will feel very touristy after Abruzzo and even Le Marche. However, if you love art Umbria is no joke. Assisi is amazing.

Just how long is this trip and where else are you going?

I'd say Spoleto, which I visited for the first time a couple years ago, would be easier to drop your car off than Perugia.
Thanks Leely! Yeah, I"m prepared for it to be more touristy. It's OK. We're looking forward to Assisi and now have everything booked. And I do love art. We have a total of 17 nights in Italy. We'll be based in San Vito on the coast for the first 6 nights, then on to Calascio (Gran Sasso) for 3 nights. Then down to Sulmona for 2 nights, because there are villages and sites I really want to see and photograph down there. Then we head up to Assisi for 3 nights, then catch the train in Foligno for three nights in Rome. The order was dependent on all the airb&bs fitting together. We kind of wanted 4 nights in Rome, but couldn't get the apartment for that extra night. I do plan to do a day trip to Ascoli Piceno from San Vito; it's only an hour and a half drive. My husband has friends and family in San Vito, so that is why the 6 nights there. Thanks again!
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANUJ
We recently returned our car in Foligno, after a driving holiday through Le Marche and Umbria, which worked out very well. If your AutoEurope rental is through Europcar, please note that the Europcar location has moved slightly further away to Via Monte Sella, 3, 06034, Foligno - for some reason Google maps etc. still show it as Viale Firenze, 14A, 06034 Foligno. They had someone drop us to the station to take our train to Rome. There's also a petrol station just around the corner to tank up before return.
ANUJ - It was your trip report that gave me the idea to look into Foligno! Thank you for the info on the location. That's a bummer, I hope it's not too far! (I'll look) Your trip sounded wonderful. Of all the places you ate in Ascoli, which were the most vegetarian friendly?
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy!
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Indy! Just talking through some things with this group really helped! Now, on to research the area a bit more deeply for a couple of excursions outside Assisi....
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket79
ANUJ - It was your trip report that gave me the idea to look into Foligno! Thank you for the info on the location. That's a bummer, I hope it's not too far! (I'll look) Your trip sounded wonderful. Of all the places you ate in Ascoli, which were the most vegetarian friendly?
It would be a long walk (over 2km) from the Europcar location to the station, so a 5 minute cab ride would be best (they will hail one for you, most likely they will offer to drop you themselves).
Osteria Nonna Nina (closed when we went, but menu looked good), Dicaduca and Pizzeria Pub Da Bruno are all vegetarian friendly.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANUJ
It would be a long walk (over 2km) from the Europcar location to the station, so a 5 minute cab ride would be best (they will hail one for you, most likely they will offer to drop you themselves).
Osteria Nonna Nina (closed when we went, but menu looked good), Dicaduca and Pizzeria Pub Da Bruno are all vegetarian friendly.
Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -