Reload this Page >

Splurge restaurant - dining alone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 01:30 AM
kathy

I've traveled alone quite often, and don't have a problem dining alone. However, I've never dined alone in an expensive, fancy restaurant. Would this be appropriate in a Michelin starred restaurant? I don't want to feel out of place or looked down upon by the wait staff.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Judy

I have dined in many Michelin starred restaurants alone,even stayed in some(some with few rooms for accommadations),never had any problem.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 11:00 AM
kathy

Thanks Judy. I'm looking forward to finally enjoying a splurge restaurant, now that I can afford it.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 12:05 PM
jenna

Be prepared to get the table next to the kitchen doors! It's very naive to think that in Europe they're going to give a woman sitting by herself a prime table in a restaurant.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Ron

Wouldn't that depend on the woman?

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Judy

I am afraid I have never been sat next to kitchen or treated anything but professional courtesy yet in good restaurants.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 11:20 PM
miranda

Jenna, who said anything about expectations of getting a prime table spot? <BR><BR>Ron, GREAT answer! Completely agree with you!<BR><BR>Judy, I too have been treated well and not had to sit by the kitchen while dining alone.<BR><BR>Kathy, go enjoy yourself!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:11 AM
mark

Kathy - <BR>If by chance you're not comfortable with your table - either next to the kitchen or right in the middle of the room - mention it to the host / maitre'de(?) and I'm sure they'll be more than accomodating. There are few chefs here in NYC who actually send out complimentary dishes to the "table next to the kitchen". A waiter friend actually enjoys serving single dinners - invariably they're not over demanding or difficult and more appreciative of the service (IOW: bigger tip). <BR>As for Jenna - let's just say I would dread having her table.....

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:13 AM
mark

sorry - meant "single diners"