Notices

Splurge hotel in Florence

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Barrie

Splurge hotel in Florence

I'm planning a trip to Italy with my boyfriend in May, and our last stop is in Florence. I want it to be really special. I have received the following recommendations: the Lungarno, the Grand, and the Helvetia & Bristol. The Lungarno has no rooms with a view available. The Grand does, but it's really expensive. We don't want to be somewhere with a lot of business people, and we'd prefer that the crowd wasn't all over 50. Any recommendations?

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 03:00 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Barrie
Accross the river from the Lungarno is
the hotel CONTINENTAL, it is a three
star hotel with61 Rooms, it is located
at the north end of the Ponte Vecchio.
Its address is Lungarno Acciaioli,2, it
is the same hotel chain which handles
the Lungarno. (www.lungarnohotels,it)
Street/River side rooms tend to be noisy
but you can bet the view, also has roof
garden. We have used it 8 times since
1978 ($43.03 per nite for a double)
Have always been satisified with it.
Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 09:42 AM
Dona

Barrie,

I stayed at the Lungarno in October and loved it. I would still hold out for a room with a view. Reservations change all the time - so keep trying.

I did a lot of scouting on the last visit for a friend - who wanted a wonderful hotel in Florence. So - my second choice would be the Helvetia and Bristol. It's a lot more intimate than the Grand or the Excelsior. It doeesn't have a view of the Arno but I liked it better.

And again - keep trying the Lungarno...

Dona

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 10:12 AM
Dona

Barrie -

I just had another idea. If you're not tied to splurge hotels, I have stayed at the Monna Lisa a number of times and love it. Also, the Hermitage at the Ponte Vecchio looks really nice - with a great rooftop dining room.

Dona

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 10:40 AM
Javi

HOTELPensione Pendini is a good choice of value&Loacation for money, but specially is good value if they assure you that you will get a room with view over the piazza (bigger and very nice view).

I was there begining of January and then They had an offer in Internet of 190,000 LIT .

Javi

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 11:31 AM
Barrie

Hello -- Thank you to everyone for your replies! I've now ruled out the Grand. I looked into the Continental. They have a penthouse room available with a 360 degree view that sounds amazing. The penthouse is less expensive than a nice room at Helvetia & Bristol, so I'm sort of leaning toward the Continental, unless I can get a room with a view at the Lungarno. Any opinions? Thanks.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 12:51 PM
anabel

The hotel Torre di Bellosguardo, on the Oltrarno side. This has to be one of the most romantic hotels I have ever stayed at! It is an abolute gem! Try to get a double room with a view of teh city; but even if your view is of the countryside it will be amazing! The staff is absolutely wonderful! Too bad you're going in March because they have a gorgeous pool which overlooks the entire city! Bellosguardo is up on a hill; thus imagine the view!

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 01:21 PM
Jill

We were in Florence this summer and stayed at the Brunelleschi. It is a 4 star hotel and renowned because it is in one of the oldest buildings in Florence. It is about a 3 minute walk from the Duomo, and apparently some of the jr suites have views of the Duomo and surrounding squares. It was a four star hotel and cost (I think) 320K lira We went in the absolute height of season.

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 04:41 AM
Rex

Richard:

Was the Continental 43 dollars in 1978? or sometime since then? There are NO cheap rates listed on the website you list NOW. Is there some trick to booking this hotel?

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 07:46 AM
richard j vicek

Goodmorning, Rex
I am just a packrat that has keep a
listing of hotel costs since 1975 to
present. For example the Flora in
Rome was $33.58 in 1975, the LaFenice
in Venice was $25.64... The Continental
in Florence rose continually thru the
end of the 70's to in 1984 to $56.36,
and by 1988, had shot up to $138.60.
In 1995, it was $180.00...The time period between 1985 to 1988 ended the
days of cheap hotel travel. The website,
www.lungarnohotels.it/ is only the site
for the Continental, Lugarno and another
in the same chain. Looking for other
hotels would suggest
www.firenzealbergo.it/
www.hotelguide.ch/
www.florence.ala.it/
www.enit.it/ (search hotel databases)
No tricks Rex just facts.....
Richard of Hickory Hills, IL...
www.venere.it/

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 08:00 AM
Rex

So, Richard - - follow up - - even though it doesn't fit with the title of this thread - - do you have a single best recommendation for Florence for under $100 USD? Or do you think it better to stay "out" - - and if so, how far "out"?

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 08:10 AM
Dona

Barrie,

Opinion. I'd probably do as you're doing - opt for a 360 at the Continental rather than the Helvetia (how can you beat that kind of view?) Or hold out for a terrace at the Lungarno...

Anabel, I'm interested in the Bellosguardo. I've heard great things about it but when I tried to walk up to it, the hill was ominous. How do you get back and forth to city center?

Dona

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 06:59 AM
Becky

Just barely outside Florence, a matter of a few minutes, is the most lovely hotel. It has a splendid view and is one of Italy's most luxurious hotels...be sure to ask for a larger room. This place is worth the splurge....the Villa San Michele (under the same management as Cipriani, I understand)

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 02:30 PM
richard j vicek

good evening, REX
Can not recommend a hotel within the
price range you asked for however an
suggest the following for your choice.
The tourist house, IL PORCELLINO, pza
del Mercato Nuove, 4 ( at the straw-
market) about halfway between the Duomo
and the Ponte Vecchio. Rates will
change with the months, for a double
will go from 140,000 to 180,000.
The MEDICI, via dei Medici, 6, a short
street just east of the Pza Della
Repubblica, is a two star hotel.
double with bath from 120,000 to 210,000.
The LA SCALETTA, via Guicciardini, 13/nero, is located one block west
of thePonte Vecchio on the south side
of the river. With Bath a double
about 200,000, without 140,000.
HOTEL ALESSANDRA, Borgo SS Apostoli, 17
just over the Ponte Vecchio, the
south end, couple of feet from the
bridge. Double w/o bath is 170.00 and
with bath is 200,000...
You can check these hotels on the pre-
vious web sites I had listed...
If you do take ones of these let me