Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spinoff of other post: What can't my family get in Southern Italy that I can bring as gifts?

Search

Spinoff of other post: What can't my family get in Southern Italy that I can bring as gifts?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 60- and 70- something year old aunts, 1st cousins in their 40s and 50s, and 2nd cousins from ages 8-21. I'm trying to think of gifts that I can bring. The other post was helpful, but I am unsure if all the ideas would apply to Italy. Is peanut butter not available there? I will definitely bring red licorice. Jack Daniels also seems like a good idea, but we will be traveling for 12 days prior, so the lighter, the better. Any specific ideas for items that would be desirable and different to bring to my Southern Italian relatives? I work in NYC so I am wondering what specific items from here would be appreciated. Yankee merchandise?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:26 AM

We have the same type of family in Southern Italy that we brought gifts to twice. They seemed to really like the gifts but, of course, they could have been just polite. Last trip, we visited them first so we didn't have to drag this stuff all over Italy.

This is what we brought on two different trips:

90-year-old aunt: Pretty photo album filled with pictures of her American family, a cotton nightgown.

65ish aunts: Cranberry glass, pewter dish, Lenox votives.

Their husbands: Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey

30ish and 40ish cousins: Yankee shirts, scented candles with holders, bath and body works lotions, Lenox votives, maple syrup, Ghiardelli chocolates, popular American CD's, NY photo book, Bloomingdales beach towel, Lenox candy dish.

Kiddies 2-10: Yankee shirts and caps, Disney dolls and shirts, jelly bellies, charm bracelets.

I must have left something out, but hope this helps.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the reference of Hotel Julia.
I have checked out your posts and am also bringing gifts for relatives. (in Abruzzo, not down south). My mom is bringing them plush hand towels from the US.
I am also bringing gifts, but since I live in China, I have opted for chinese tea in gorgeous containers, silk "wrappers" with chinese designs on it to put a wine bottle in (for display when serving or when giving a gift) for the 50-70 year old bunch. For the younger ones, I got Levis Belts (assuming that Levis is a popular brand there, I don't know) and pearl necklaces for the women.

I opted NOT to get the younger women designer bags (all knock offs and factory "back door" items and hence their prices of about $5 each!!!) because I thought it would be insulting/innapropriate to give a fake Gucci or Prada to an Italian. I did, however get some Miss Sixty and GUSTO shirts for younger girls.

I know penaut butter was always a great gift for me to bring to our Chinese relatives (but it is readily availbale here now)and think that anything disposable is always a good idea....foods, candies, as are the gifts that are home made (the one poster did an awesome photo album).

Gifts from the heart are always well received.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 02:57 PM
ira

Hi AP,

How about
Maple syrup, Pecans, Native American crafts, A book of pix of NYC?
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 05:33 PM

AP6380,
Jack Daniels is available in many parts of Italy.