Gifts for Relatives in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi anybody have similar problems with trying to bring souviers/ gifts to relatives during part of our stay with them on our trip in Italy. (7 days with them)

Amybody have suggestions of what things to bring for gifts? Things that are hard to find in Europe but inexpensive here.
I'm looking at spending $10-20 dollars certainly under $50

Gifts would be for our 70'ish old aunts and some 40'ish old cousins

I'm trying to think of things which are hard to find or inexpensive here but the opposite over in your Europe!

regards

tc
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A picture book of the area you live in.

Then spoil your aunts and cousins by taking them out to dinner or buying them drinks. Be a very grateful and gracious guest. They'll be delighted.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:26 AM

I'm assuming you mean the U.S. when you say "here" because you mentioned dollars, American dollars I assume.

The things I stock up on while home in the U.S. are baking mixes because they are cheap in the U.S. but very expensive here in Italy when I can actually find them. However I'm not sure if that would be such a great gift. My Italian in-laws do love when I bake American cookies and brownies for them but I don't know about giving it to them as a gift.

I have given products from Bath and Body Works to Italians as gifts and those have gone over well because Italy doesn't really have anything like it (only Lush in some cities and The Body Shop in some cities). What city do your relatives live? Gap products are also good because Gap is a bit famous for being the typical American clothing but that would probably go outside your budget.

I brought Hersey chocolates once and they hated those. We have Snickers, Mars, M&M's, and Kit Kats in Italy so don't buy those. We don't have Reese peanut butter cups and those are hit or miss as gifts for me. Some Italians love them, some think they are disgusting. We have peanut butter in the supermarkets here. We don't have Godiva chocolates which are nice or Dove chocolates are a bit cheaper.

It's difficult because most things can be bought now over here for about the same price. Sport shoes are cheaper in the states as well as over the counter drugs...again not great gifts!

OK, I've rambled on as I often do. I would do one of the following:
an American candy that we don't have in Italy (such as Dove chocolates, Godiva chocolates, Butterfinger, Reese, Tootsie Roll, Peppermint Patties), Pepperidge Farm cookies, Bath & Body products, Gap shirts, a California wine maybe. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 05:40 AM

HI tc...just my 2 cents--and as I often say, worth every penny!! --but I would imagine a product that is indigenous to your part of the country is appropriate, and therefore special. Maple syrup from VT or dried cranberries if you are from MA are 2 ideas that come to mind. In other words, something analagous to Americans buying limoncello when they are in Italy....
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:40 AM
ira

Hi TC,

I suggest picture postcards of your hometown and photos of your family to bring with you.

In Italy, some flowers and dinner out for the whole family.

It ain't like the old days when cigarettes and chocolate were all Americans needed.

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:01 AM

A friend, who is travelling with us, plans to bring American cigarettes as gifts to hand out in Italy (to drivers, etc.) Is this inappropriate??
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM

tcmazz1,
I suggest you bring an album cotaining photos of your family and other relatives. Include pictures of your house, car, dog, work and anything else you can think of. Put in postcards of your town and state and any tourist spots in your area. This will give your relatives a better idea of the things you talk about and will let them show thier friends all about thier American relatives.
Bring each relative something native to where you live i.e. if you live in the southwest bring Indian jewelry.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:00 PM

I recently visited my cousin in Italy. We do not stay at their home, but do arrange to drive to their home for a visit. She has a large garden of vegetables and other plants. She is very proud of her garden and what she grows in it. Each time we have visited her and her family, she made us a delicious meal using the eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, etc. from her garden. The only complaint she has is how hard the gardening is on her hands. So, I brought her a gift bag of hand care products from my general area made specifically for gardeners. She loved it! I also brought her a box of "American" chocolates. She was delighted.

On previous visits, I have given her an apron form Cape Cod, a New England cookbook, a photo album of the family here in America, Red Sox T shirts, and some CDs that are hard to find in Italy.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM

Anni, I suggest you tell your friend to forget about the cigarettes for people like drivers. If they smoke, they can afford to buy their own, including American brands that are available in Italy.

Cigarettes are not an appropriate replacement for a tip. And the tip should always, <b>always</b> be in Euros.

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM

Hi tcmazz1, I have found it harder and harder to figure out gifts to take to Italy. It seems anything I can buy here is usually available in Italy.

I have taken a small scalloped chinabowl, Lenox solitaire, which is my china pattern. Of course after I purchased it I saw on the bottom it had been made in China unlike my set of China which was produced in the US.

I have purchased a sterling letter opener which is the same make and pattern as my sterling flatware. But that was before 911 when I could carry it in my carryon.

I have found older ladies in Italy seem to get chilly during the winter months in Italy as usually there is not the type of heating systems that we have in our homes in the states. So perhaps a pretty shawl would be welcomed and used by your aunts.

For the cousins perhaps a bottle of US produced wine. And then arrive with a bouquet of flowers (or buy them some the next day if they are picking you up at the airport). And take them to dinner one evening and perhaps a nice lunch another day, that always seems to be appreciated. And another day buy a couple of bottles of Italian wine for dinner. Or a box of Italian chocolates. I have found that meals out, bottles of wine, flowers, Italian chocolates seem to be truly appreciated.

A photo album is also a very excellant idea as most Italians are very family oriented and would enjoy seeing your and their various family members that live in the US, the houses etc. Something all age groups would enjoy I am sure.

Family members just returned from Italy. They didn't bring gifts. They did not stay with the relatives but were invited to lots of dinners etc. They did the wine/flower/chocolate gifts. Oh, some wonderful pastries from their local bakery would be appreciated to I think.

Have a wonderful time in Italy and with your family there..you will be making special memories for all of you I am sure.