gifts for host families - marshmallows?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it true there are no marshmallows in Italy?
I leave in a week and want to bring something for the children of one of the families I am staying with.
I have also heard that Duncan Hines brownie mix is a big hit!?
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM

I've never seen them, and they are so lightweight, I can't see a downside to packing a bag.

I don't know about Duncan Hines specifically. I sometimes see brownies sold in trendy bakeries in Italian cities as an indulgence -- the way people eat gelato in the states. That kind of rich, sweet cakey treat in not common in Italy.

Italians I know who have traveled to the states have told me that they enjoyed fluffy American pancakes.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM

A good friend of mine who lives in Italy loves American brownies. I have tested all the mixes and Duncan Hines is by far my favorite. They have good ratings from more professional testers, too.

I have seen gorgeous marshmallow at candy stores and specialty food shops. Or you can make them. Alton Brown has great instructions.

Fresh marshmallows would be a wonderful treat.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM

There are strawberry marshmallows in the grocery stores now and they are good.

We make smores in the microwave when we can't wait for the campfire. Graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey bars. That might be an idea - fixings for Smores.

They don't have cake mixes in a lot of countries. When they come here from Hungary they like to take back cake mixes. They may not have Jello either or boxed pudding. Not sure on that though.

Our friends that visited from Finland had never had pumpkin pie. She took home canned pumpkin and spices etc to make a pumpkin pie for her family. They like to take back Tabasco sauce too as they can't get that.

Jelly Bellys are always interesting.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Pumpkin in all forms is quite common in Italy, so better stick with marshmallows, which will befun to toast in a pizza oven.

They do have cake mixes in Italy.

Gelatins do appear in some very fancy layered pastries. Jello? If I ever saw it in Italy, I'm sure I blocked it out of my mind.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM

We saw marshmellow candy sticks in Italy,, eleborate shapes etc.. I wouldn't bring a boring bag of Jet Puffs from home,,LOL
The cake mix might be ok, but they do have cake mixes there( do any of you go into grocery stores and look at what they have? I love doing that,, I tend to bring home a few package of soup or sause mixes just to try )

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:10 PM

How well do you know these people?

Think of it the other way, if an Italian family brought a packet of cake mix as a welcome gift to your home, would you consider it bit strange

Geordie
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Funny, but I would bring the boring jet puffs. (I've never seen the candies on sticks).

Among the many flavors of syrups that you see in espresso bars to flavor coffees (hazlenut, vanilla, etc), "Toasted Marshmallow" is common. Almost every Italian-made brand has a version.

Toasting marshmallows would be the reason I would pack the jet puffs. Otherwise, I cut them up and put them in the brownies.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM

It's common to bring food items as gifts when you are a guest in Italy, and very common to bring your local food specialty.

If the present is for the kids, anything goes.

Of course, kids everywhere have a way of telling you exactly what they think. If they are unimpressed by the marshmallows and would have rather had an iPhone, they might not be able to disguise their disappointment.

But I'd pack the marshmallows.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:26 PM

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/509231
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM

<<It's common to bring food items as gifts when you are a guest in Italy, and very common to bring your local food specialty.>>

I couldn't agree more, but if a packet of cake mix represents your local speciality, then ....

Geordie

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM

You can read the link I provided.

(I live in Italy, so my local specialties run toward olives. Last person who came to my house -- an Italian-- brought me a special apron, which I loved. Others have brought regional cookies. A cake mix would have been fine. It's a very jolly culture.)
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM

“Think of it the other way, if an Italian family brought a packet of cake mix as a welcome gift to your home, would you consider it bit strange”

A cake mix or marshmallows wouldn’t pop my clutch but that’s not to say that it wouldn’t be welcomed.
If some German people came to visit us bearing tubes of horseradish and tomato paste, I'd be thrilled. Oh and could they throw in some Hunata cookies, please?
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM

<<I live in Italy, so my local specialties run toward olives. Last person who came to my house -- an Italian-- brought me a special apron, which I loved.>>

I'll try it out on my brother-in- law tonight who's Italian and get his reaction to being given cake mix by a visitor.

I'll post his reaction tomorrow, but somehow I think I already know

Geordie

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM

<<I live in Italy, so my local specialties run toward olives. Last person who came to my house -- an Italian-- brought me a special apron, which I loved.>>

Meant to add that they are the kind of gifts you would expect

Geordie
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, and especially Zeppole for the feedback - I'm going to go with the marshmallows & brownie mix.

Geordie, I know it sounds kooky, but the kids are 8 and 11.
I am from Canada, and so am bringing maple syrup - (how original - but it's so good) for the adults..
maybe I should bring pancake mix too.
kidding
Do you need anything Zeppole?
countdown- I am starting to get excited.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM

bellalinda - Enjoy your trip

Geordie
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Try: Heavy duty aluminum foil, Packages of Certo or Sure-jell, instant pie mixes. Cake mixes. If your plane offers liquor sales..a bottle of Jack Daniels! Or more direct, inquire of your hostess for suggestions of USA products. A large container of Wisconsin maple syrup?
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM

<<Try: Heavy duty aluminum foil, Packages of Certo or Sure-jell, instant pie mixes.>>

It just get's better

Geordie
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Tootsie rolls....

Salt water taffy....

Carmel corn....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -