Sperlonga, Italy .... anyone?

Nov 18th, 2000, 03:23 PM
nancy

Sperlonga, Italy .... anyone?

The months are passing by, and it is time to make our reservations for our second week in italy.
We have narrowed it down to Sperlonga, Gaeta,or Formia.
I know this is not a very traveled area, but if anyone has words of wisdom, I would love to have their input.
thanks ,
nancy

Nov 18th, 2000, 08:17 PM
Carol

Nancy- We stayed in Sperlonga a couple years ago. Went thru Gaeta. It looked big and kind of dismal so we went on to Sperlonga. Had never heard of it but found a nice hotel on the beach, had a room with a balcony. The hotel was the Aurora. It was a short walk up to the little old town which is on mesa. We enjoyed it and the hotel was special to us because there was a wedding there and we sat in the courtyard and watched the whole thing including the bride and groom cavorting on the beach having their pictures taken. Apparently at Italian weddings the bride's family give wedding guests gifts as they leave. We watched them being presented - some small, some large. Great fun. There was an article in some magazine (maybe one of the airline) sometime this past year on Sperlonga. Looked for it but couldn't find it.Good luck. Carol

Nov 19th, 2000, 04:35 AM
nancy

carol,
thank you very much! for your response.
The Aurora looked fine,( a little too modern for my taste)
but the children and my husband are pretty insistant on having a pool, which definitely narrows down the choices on hotels!
There is a 3 star, the La Playa, which has both, so I contacted them yesterday.
If you have anymore suggestions, or comments on the town, I would love to hear them.
nancy

Nov 19th, 2000, 07:47 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Nancy, I like Sperlonga--a really cute
little village that is fun to explore.
I stopped in the Aurora and got a brochure for future reference. The hotels are on the beach just north of the village, which is on a rock hill.
If you want the best place in the area
then go to www.initaly.com and find the
le Rocce Hotel located on the beach
between Gaeta and Sperlonga--very nice.

Nov 19th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Jim

Nancy,
If interested in the Grand Hotel Le Rocce, you may get a better rate dealing directly with the hotel. Their website is: www.lerocce.com/

Nov 19th, 2000, 09:00 AM
nancy

Bob and Jim,
Thank you both for the info!!
Bob, I klnow you have had some dealings with this area, that is why I like your input.
The Grand Le Rocce does look great, and I almost have the children convinced that a pool is not a necessity.
But ,We were thinking of being close enough to a town to walk to it and explore.
Do you know how far it is from either Gaeta or Sperlonga?

About the Aurora;
Does the brochure show the rooms?
I really have a thing about staying in rooms that look like Holiday Inns or Comfort Inns.
I much prefer something that has more style to it,EVEN if it is shabby and a bit worn.
There is another hotel n Sperlonga,
The La Playa.
Have you seen that one?
Are most 3 star hotels in Italy furnished in the Holiday Inn style?
Thanks so for any input you may have on these questions!!
As always,
Appreciatively Nancy

Nov 19th, 2000, 10:16 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

nancy, The Le Rocce is too far to walk into Sperlonga--I would guess about
2 km south of town. The Aurora is the
perfect location. That is why I stopped
there to look, but did not see the rooms. My guess is Holiday Inn style.
The walkway up the hill into town is
about 100 meters from hotel. It is a
very pretty location. Good luck !

Nov 19th, 2000, 10:32 AM
nancy

Thanks Bob!
nancy

Nov 20th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Jim

nancy,
I appreciate your comments regarding my comments to the Gaeta area, namely,The Grand Hotel le Rocce. However, please don't think that I recommended this area at all. But, since this is the area of my ancestry, I would just like to suggest the area of Terracina. The bombing during WW2 uncovered many of the town's ancient structures,one of which, is a stretch of the Appian way and the original paving of the Roman Forum in piazza del Municipio.
Other places of interest are the Duomo at Terracina and the Museo Archeologico devoted to local Greek and Roman finds.
I guess my point is that you won't go wrong exploring this wonderful area of Latium. They also have many great hotels/resturants

Nov 21st, 2000, 04:18 PM
nancy

Jim,
I think I was pretty clear on what you did and did not recommend.
I did appreciate the webaddress on Le Rocce, it is very different than the one that Initaly has.
Do you NOT recommend this area?
If so, I would be curious to know why, or are you just saying you are neutral on it?
This does indeed seem to be a wonderful area to explore, and one that does not involve us in traveling too far from our arrival and departure city which is rome.
I just know we will have a beautiful trip.
Thanks
nancy