Spend the night in St Tropez or Marsielle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are going to be traveling from Barcelona to Cannes in May and would like to spend the night somewhere around St Tropez or Marsielle on the way.

I know nothing about the area, and was wondering which would be more preferable to spend the night.

I expect that we would be coming in by train from Barcelona and looking to pick up a car to drive to Cannes and Monaco before flying out of Nice.

Any advice on where to stay in the St Tropez or Marsielle area would be appreciated. I already have room reservations for the other locations.

Thanks,
Bart
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM

Huge diffeence. Marseille (note the spelling) is a big city with business and harbor activities on its mind. St. Tropez is a beach location that used to be sort of a hippy community and has long ago become trendy with glamour and movie stars on its mind.

Read up on both in good guidebooks and such and decide, it's apples and oranges.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM
DAX

My personal preference would be St Tropez. It's a charming upscale beach resort town. I would recommend Maison Blanche or any hotel in the town center. The whole beach ambiance is unique and relaxing, quite a contrast to the urban sprawl of Marseille. On the other hand, Marseille has more grit and may be a good place to experience the French North African communities which Marseille is known for. They have interesting music & cultural trends.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:53 PM

Hi

Maybe Cassis is an option ?

Peter
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:56 PM

Saint Tropez, without any doubt.
To fully enjoy the city, pick a hotel in the centre rather than on the beaches.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:06 AM
DAX

I agree with Myriam, the downtown is alive with pedestrians day and night when the beach area is dark at night. I enjoy watching people play boule as we eat in the cafes/bars around the main square or strolling around the harbor. That said I also like staying around the beach area as it has a wonderful island feel to it. It's very relaxing.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:32 AM

I enjoy the atmosphere ... gentle style of St. Tropez (of course, I was there in early October...not quite the summer scene). We rented an apartment then but next time, we're thinking about the Hotel Sube right at the harbor. Its bar is along the Harbor so great people watching, I believe most of the rooms are on the other side, much more quiet but still so very central to the great restaurants and clubs.