Search

Specific Questions for Trip to Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Specific Questions for Trip to Tuscany

Hi All,

I am fine tuning the itinerary for our late April trip to Tuscany. We are staying three nights in Florence and then five nights at an agriturismo outside of Pienza. I have a few specific questions:

1. We would like to visit one of the abbeys in the area, but only have time for one. Would you recommend the Abbey of Sant'Antimo or the Abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore. Do the monks still chant at either location?
2. We know that we want to visit Pienza, San Quirico, and Montepulciano. What are your other favorite small towns to explore?
3. Any recommendations for a great restaurant en route from Florence to Pienza? On the day that we leave Florence, we will pick up our rental car and travel to the Antinori nel Chianti Classico for a tour. I would like to drive somewhere great for lunch afterwards as we make our way south.

Thanks very much!

Thanks very much!
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 09:30 AM

1. Both are a nice visit but I feel there is more to see at Monte Oliveto Maggiore.

2. Monticchiello, Montefollonico, Castiglione d'Orcia, Montisi (and nearby Castelmuzio and Petroio), Radicofani. Further south- Sorano and Pitigliano.

3. Home » Ristoro di Lamole in Lamole,
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:24 AM

Monte Oliveto Maggiore - much larger. What you spend time is mostly inside. Better choice for a foul weather day.
Sant'Antimo - is smaller but gives that monastery simplicity feeling. I see Sant'Antimo as an exterior photo place. It is situated in a beautiful valley surrounded by that Tuscan cypress trees. However, the time of day matters. It is hard to capture the moment unless you can be there around sunrise or sunset on a nice day with some interesting clouds in the sky. Montalcino would be an easy stop if you go to Sant'Antimo.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also think there is more to see at Monte Oliveto Maggiore. Much more. But be aware that the entire abbey closes for a couple of hours mid-day, so you need to plan your arrival carefully.

We enjoyed Buonconvento, but there are countless charming villages within range in both Tuscany and Umbria (such as the shoreline towns of Lake Trasimeno and Panicale a bit to the south of the lake).

I don't know the restaurant recommended by zoecat, but I strongly agree with the implied suggestion to travel on SR22 and other secondary roads as much as possible after the stop at Antinori. It will take longer to reach Pienza but be a much more interesting drive. I'm not sure I would even focus on a particular/destination restaurant but just see where I am at lunch time. We've yet to have a bad meal in Chianti and have been particularly lucky in the Radda/Volpaia area without advance planning. Depending on when you leave Antinori, there are some well regarded restaurants nearby.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 06:32 PM

Check out this spot just a short drive from Antinori nel chiani Classico. It’s an absolutely beautiful drive through the vineyards of Antinori to the Badia a Passignano, where you will find the Osteria di Passignano.

Osteria di Passignano | Osteria Passignano

This place is expensive but outstanding. They feature the Antinori wines. There’s also a cheaper restaurant in the village which has good reviews but I haven’t tried it.

It is possible to take a tour of the cellar in the ancient abbey. Personally I think this place is much more beautiful than Antinori nel Chianti Classico.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions, thank you!
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 05:01 PM

I would recommend visiting Montalcino also, especially if you like Brunello! I especially enjoyed an early morning visit to Sant' Antimo, but that was back when the monks were still in residence. I went for the Gregorian chants, but the abbey was so beautiful inside and out. Very simple, ancient and with a very impressive history. Unfortunately, last I heard the monks (only 7 left in 2005) were relocated to at different church a few years ago. Monte Olivetto was also very nice and completely different. I went for the frescos, but many of the most famous were under restoration and not accessible. I did enjoy all the others.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dayle. Are there monks still in residence at Monte Oliveto?
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Monte Oliveto Maggiore is better, there is a restuarantat the entrance (not run by the monks) but just up the road the Piccolo Valantino Hotel has a very good restaurant if still open.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 07:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Are there monks still in residence at Monte Oliveto?"

Yes. That's why it closes for a few hours in the middle of the day. It is an active, working monastery that allows visitors. On the abbey's website is info about joining the monastic life or staying at the monastery as a guest, and there's a link to the many items they produce and sell to support the abbey.

https://www.monteolivetomaggiore.it/
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 09:07 PM

We have been to Tuscany four times, most recently this past April when we spent three days in Florence and a week at a villa in the countryside. Our villa was near the Town of San Donato in Poggio which is the next Autostrada exit south of the Antinori winery. We visited Antinori and enjoyed it. We had lunch at the restaurant and it was good. As far as restaurants between Antinori and Pienza, the best ones we encountered were in Siena. Our favorite was La Taverna di San Guisippe which is just down a narrow alley from Il Campo. Our other favorites were Da Divo and Le Logge. There are some very good restaurants in San Donato which is about 10 minutes south of Antinori. Our favorites were La Toppa and Palazzo Pretorio, both at the top of the hill, and Locanda di Pietracupa at the bottom of the hill just outside of town. ......... We visited Sant Antima some years ago and heard the monks sing the Gregorian chants but that order of monks is no longer there. They left in a huff because of a dispute with local authorities over the issuance of building permits. It is still a beautiful place and is near Montalcino which is one of Tuscany's great wine towns. Another is Montepulciano which is near where you are staying in Pienza. Some other towns worth visiting are San Gimignano, Volterra, Greve and Giaoli ( Castel Brolio- Ricasoli). That will be a great trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, letsgeaux. We plan on doing a day trip to Siena so your restaurant recommendations will come in handy!