Specific question about rome tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent quite a bit of time researching tours on this site and see that Context, Icon, and Through Eternity tour groups come highly recommended.

My husband and I are taking my parents for their 40th anniversary to Italy. This is a once in a lifetime trip for my parents and I am trying to plan it to be everything they want!

I have heard Context is fabulous, but it is expensive. As for Icon, I am wondering whether it is not "deep" enough for my parents and more geared toward families (perhaps with children, etc?) that want an overview. Is my impression correct? My father is really into history and I want a very good tour of the forum/col/pal. hill for him. On the other hand, my mum is very interested in art and has dreamed always of seeing the sistine chapel. Lastly, my DH is really not too interested in either(!) and will be bored if a tour is too "dry." I want each person's tour experience to be excellent.

Context is a bit expensive for my taste, but if it is the best for the vatican and for ancient rome, I will simply book it and not worry about the price. However, if Icon would do for one tour and Context for the other, I would like to know to maybe save on costs a little bit.

I am rambling, but my questions are: Is Icon very detailed? Is it geared toward people with a preexisting love of history and art, or is it for the beginner? Is Context too dry a beginner? Does everyone see my dilemma!

Thank you so much for any advice you can give.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:48 PM

I haven't taken any Icon tours so I can't comment but I did take 3 Context tours, including the Vatican tour. The tour was not at all dry. There was a tremendous amount of information given during our 4 hours on the history of the Vatican but mostly about the art. I think the tour depth depends on how long the tours last. You can get lots more detailed in a 4 hour tour than a 3 hour tour, for example.

I checked the Icon site and see that their tour is 2.5 hours compared with Context's 4 hour tour. That's a big difference in time. The TE tour is 5 hours but there are up to 15 people on the tour. I think that's a lot unless they use head sets. Parts of the Vatican, such as the Map room, are noisy and part of the tour is outside and there may be other groups in the area talking. In general 15 people on a walking tour is fine but inside the Vatican it may be too many. I did an Enjoy Rome tour of the Vatican and there were about that many people on the tour and sometimes I coudn't hear the guide.

You have a price spread of 30E, 41E, and 70E and a time of 2.5, 5, and 4 hours per tour. Are all the tours offered when you'll be in Rome? I know Context doesn't run every tour every day so this might determine who you book with.

If all 3 tour groups have been highly recommended then you probably can't go wrong with any of them. But I would choose either Eternity or Context as they offer longer tours, at least of the Vatican. I didn't compare the other tours.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM

I took the Icon tour for the Vatican Museums/St. Peters a couple years ago. The guide did a terrific job. For the Vatican Museums, he had us sit down outside while he gave us a very in-depth history of the Sistene Chapel (which he wouldn't have been able to do inside). Also, the tour lasted a lot longer than advertised. By the tine we got to St. Peter's, he had to go quietly, as it was past the time when tour guides could be in there. The whole thing was well worth the money.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
J62

I took an Icon tour of the forum/pal/col last year and found it just about right. It lasted 3hrs which was the perfect time given attention span, approaching mid day heat, getting tired from walking and ready for lunch.

I don't really see how our guide would have had time to get much deeper than she did. The guide actively engaged in conversation and further explanation with adults and kids on a range of topics, so part of the tour is what you make of it.

Unfortunately one of the guests was intent on showing how much SHE knowed about ancient Rome and kept rambling about Caesar this, Caesar that - seemingly constantly one upping the guide - the rest of us wanted to choke her.

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:31 AM
J62

As for Vatican museums/Sistine chapel, we also used Icon for that tour - different guide.

You MUST pass through the entire Vatican museum to get to the Sistine Chapel, and guides are not allowed to do their thing inside the chapel. They have to give their spiel in the courtyard well before the chapel in front of poster boards set up for that purpose.

A real treat for your mother may be Helen Donegan's private after-hour tour. It's very pricy, but apparently goes into far greater depth, and you go after hours when there are no crowds.

As for DH, assuming he's a grown man, I suggest if expresses no interest in history or art then let him choose his own activities. Anybody who goes into Rome with the need to be entertained by a tour that isn't "too dry" is better off leaving in the hotel room. my 2c. The history & art speak for themselves. All a tour guide needs to do is put it in context.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Just a thought..I booked my tour directly through the Vatican. I had a great guide with a small group and the tour lasted over 2 hours. This may be a less expensive alternative for you. The tour was very detailed and she knew all of the security guards. This came in handy when she wanted to take us on a few shortcuts.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the comments! I feel a bit better about booking Icon as you all have said such lovely things about the tour guides and their knowledge level.

I still am wrestling with whether I should splurge for one tour with Context and then do the other with Icon. Any further insight?

oh, and J62, I sincerely hope you were jesting about leaving my hubby in the hotel room. Although he is a grown man, he isn't the type of man who wishes to "miss out" on the family and seeing Rome. He just isn't captivated by history and art - he is a medical nerd - and finds lecturers on art somewhat "dry." He will endure without complaining and find interest in the surroundings, but I want to make his experience as enjoyable as possible, too! I don't think dumping him in a hotel room qualifies as an enjoyable holiday!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Since people had such good things to say about Icon tours I would book both tours with them and save some money. In fact, I'll be looking at their tours next time.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM

dcm,

On my last visit to Roma, I did 2 tours with Context and loved both. They limit their groups to 6 people and, as I was the only single, we just had 5! I did the Antique Rome and the Arte Vatican tours. Both guides were experts and very interesting. Both tours went .5 to 1 hour over their stated times, all the participants were interested and asked intelligent questions.
Both tours were like mini-seminars, rather than generic tourist overviews.

I think your DH would find parts interesting, even if not a fan of history or art. There is bound to be a tidbit here and there that catches his interest.

I am a budget traveler, but felt the money was WELL worth it! Highly recommend them.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all the great advice! we are leaving in three weeks and I have decided to book the Vatican tour with Icon and the palantine hill/coliseum tour with Context. I will let you know how they are when we return!