Special Trip to Amsterdam/Belgium

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Special Trip to Amsterdam/Belgium

We are a "young" 60-something couple into art (modern and classical), music (pop, rock, folk, world), food (gourmet and ethnic), architecture and design. We are celebrating my wif'e's 60th birthday this August with a 10-day trip to Amsterdam/Belgium (our first to this region). We will be flying into and out of Amsterdam, and spending a couple of days there on each end of the trip. Would appreciate advice on how to split the remainder of our time between Brussels, Bruge and Antwerp(with possible sidetrip to Ghent), and what activities to do along the way. We plan to take trains the first half of the trip and rent a car for a few days. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

OK. We have decided to spend 4 nights in Brussels, and 3 nights in Bruges, before heading back to Amsterdam. We will take day trips to Antwerp and possibly Ghent. Now, I am seeking recommendations for that very special dinner in Brussels for my wife's 60th.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Comme Chez Soi in Brussels has a good reputation as does De Karmeliet in Bruges (Brugge). I have not eaten at either, but have certainly heard of them; De Karmeliet has 3 Michelin stars. You might try Googling them for reviews or check out Trip Advisor which will be able to give you other names. Or maybe ask the concierge in your hotel, as they will certainly be able to help you with bookings.

Lavandula
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 07:30 PM

If you have a day to take a trip to Ypres from brugges, I highly recommend it. the western front and world war 1 often get short changed and the tour I took was incredible and moving. We just had one night in Brussels and walked down to a street near the square and cathedral that was literally lined with great little places. Of course, you must have the mussels in brussels!!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM

Suggest 3 nights in Antwerp and take that time out of Brussels and Bruges time. Mussels in Antwerp are just as good as in Brussels. Stay in Haarlem and take day trips to Amsterdam.

How much do you want to spend for dinner?
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 01:29 AM

You do not do The Netherlands justice with your trip. Why only 3 days (assuming your 10 days does not include travel days) in Amsterdam? Why not visit other cities/countryside in the Netherlands? There is so much more to the Netherlands than Amsterdam! You could easily spend all 10 days here and not touch the surface.
4 nights is Brussels is too long. You can do Brussels as a day trip from Brugge easily and see most of what there is to see.