Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 Day Trip - Is Brussels skippable? Or Antwerp?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our famly of 5 (kids ages 20, 18 and 15) will be spending seven days in the Netherlands/Belgium. Mostly Netherlands...or so I think.

We fly into and out of Schipol. I'm tempted to try to fit in Antwerp, Brussels and Bruges before going to Amsterdam. But I hate to do the "spend one night in each city" thing.

I was thinking of going straight from the airport to Antwerp (plane arrives at 8:30 am). See Antwerp in a day, then take a train in the evening to Brussels or Bruges? Or realize that we will be tired and spend the night in Antwerp?

From there, Brussels as a day trip on the way to Bruges? Then two nights in Bruges?

Another alternative: Antwerp all day, then train to Bruges in the evening...two nights in Bruges.

Any ideas? Is Brussels skippable? Or is Antwerp? I"ve been to both but in 1985. Kids haven't been to either.
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Bruges was amazing, even in the frigid winter when we went. it was a 3 hour train ride from Amsterdam.
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:37 AM

7 days - at least 3 of which are now being spent in Belgium. Presumably day 7 is the day you leave again?

Doesn't leave an awful lot of time for the Netherlands. Or do you mean by the Netherlands Amsterdam?
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Hez

I would skip Brussels - it's a pretty dull, very generic city imho.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:06 AM

I'd give Brussels a pass but I adore Antwerp!
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Yup, give Brussels a skip. They have a lovely square, but the rest of the city is underwhelming. Bruges is lovely.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Here is a bit more info on the trip. Arrive Shipol on Aug 19th. Depart for Zurich on August 26th. So counting the day of arrival, but not the day of departure, we have 7 days in the region.

I was thinking that Brussels was skippable.

What do you think? See Antwerp, then train that evening to Bruges, with one day and two nights in Bruges? Or see Antwerp, spend the night there, then early train to Bruges, with one overnight there? I am very aware that we will want to crash early the first night.

I'd like to see more of the Netherlands than Amserdam, but with day trips.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM

A few clarifying questions:

Not counting the flight over, are you staying 6 nights or 7?

What do you plan to see in The Netherlands? Just Amsterdam?

FWIW, I have done Antwerp, Brussels and Bruges as a 7 night (8 day) trip. I have also visited Amsterdam and surrounding area in a week. For your time-frame, I would strongly consider one trip <b>OR</b> the other as opposed to trying to do two one-week trips in 7 days. Just a thought. Also, I don't consider Antwerp, Brussels or Bruges (or Gent!) "skippable". They all deserve to be seen and savored (and not just as a fly-by photo op).
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Sorry but I'm with Bardo1 on this.

However if you are set on it then why not stay two nights in Antwerp and do Brugge as a day trip from there? You will be tired on your first day and will barely do Antwerp justice, stay there go to Brugge early the next morning, then maybe look around Antwerp again on day 3 before returning to Amsterdam.
Alternatively go straight to Brugge, stay there two nights and visit Antwerp on your way back to Amsterdam.

What are you hoping to see on your day trips from Amsterdam?
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:24 AM

I am also with bardo - all the places on the itinerary are worth seeing (I really liked Brussels, for the record) - but I wouldn't attempt it all with that short of a trip. I'd probably spend all my time in the Netherlands and save Belgium for another trip entirely.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:34 AM

I'm also with Bardo. Do either the Netherlands or Belgium.
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Day trips from Amsterdam are very easy. Intercity trains out of Centraal take 20 to 30 minutes to Leiden, Haarlem, North Sea, etc. Beautiful countryside, very friendly people.
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

We have to make a pilgrimage to some little town way up north to see where H's relatives all came from.
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:27 AM

I love Brussels, but your trip is too jammed as it is, especially now that you mention you've got to go to "some little town." Where is the town? Belgium or the Netherlands? Pick one country and leave the other for another trip.
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

I think the relatives came from Makkum...but I have to check and see. I hate having to plan a trip so quickly, but we couldn't commit until the 18 year old had scheduled freshman orientation at college, etc etc.
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Didn't care for Brussels too much. Liked Antwerp a bit better. Loved Bruges!

And, loved Ghent (but not as much as Bruges).
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:39 AM

Maastricht is an easy day train trip from Brussels. A pleasant circular walk of the old town with the assistance of a map (small charge) from the tourist office (walk along main drag from train station over the bridge and turn right). Plenty of touristy looking eateries in the main square towards the end of the walk, but a good alternative is the V&D store's cafeteria/ food section a liitle further on to the right towards the completion of the walk.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
We just returned from and 8 day/7 night holiday with our children to Amsterdam that included a (very) long day trip to Brugge. In retrospect I wish we had either skipped Brugge and done another day trip based in Amsterdam, or split the trip to base in Amsterdam and Brugge, with side trips from both.
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

That's an idea. What side trips from Brugge? Antwep? Ghent?
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Gent is an easy side trip from Brugge, 25 mins. on a direct train. Antwerpen is 1 hr 20 mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -