Search

Special Cereal- ok to take w/o box

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special Cereal- ok to take w/o box

Hi,

We are leaving for Europe next week. My son is allergic to milk products and gluten. Also he is on a rotation diet so he can only have eggs every 3 days. He has 2 cereals that we buy that he likes and can actually eat.
Breakfast is hardest meal for him so I wanted to take the cereal along. Do I have to take it in the original packaging? Or can I just put it in a tupperware container? If I put it in a tupperware after we arrive in London, can I take it to France and Italy in just the tupperware?

I know it is picky question but the tupperware would be easier to transport and less chance of spilling.
Thanks for your help?
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:27 AM
P_M

I see no reason why it needs to be in the original packaging. Put it in the tupperaware.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:49 AM

Yes put it in something clear so there won't be a chance that an agent will open it and dig his hands into it at inspection.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:53 AM

Just in case he does push his hairy hands into it...you'd be wise to check if you can get it (or something similar) there in Europe.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 09:23 AM

good idea or take the plastic wrapped cereal out of the box but leave it sealed so hairy paws can't get to it.

I am serious, I saw an agent maul my toothbrush and personal items!
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It would be fine taking some w/ you - but what is the cereal? Maybe it or something similar is sold in the UK/France/Italy
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:58 AM

I sympathise with your dilemma, as my 13yo son is very sensitive to wheat and milk, though he can eat oats in small amounts but not too often. We too find breakfast can be a difficult meal.

In health food shops here in the UK there are quite a few gluten-free cereals, most of which are really quite palatable, and some of them can now be found in the larger supermarkets too. My son only likes a few of them, so I end up eating the cereals so as to avoid waste, and generally I think they are pretty good.

I'd say take your own as you plan to, in a tupperware container, but cut out the name and ingredients panel on the packaging and take it with so you can show the customs person if asked. You probably know about having a card printed in various languages that explains that your son cannot eat gluten, dairy etc. There have been a few threads here on the subject if you search using the words gluten free or coeliac/celiac.

If I can be of any help with regard to G/F products in England, please ask.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:22 AM

Take the cereal in a plastic container, but cut off the part of the label with the cereal's name, wrap it in clingfilm and put that in with the cereal...just in case.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I think that I will take it in a clear container with the label taped on as was suggested in the previous post.

The 2 cereals are Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice and Envirokidz Amazon frosted flakes. He cannot eat regular frosted flakes. I thought about buying the cereal there but I wasn't sure if they would have the same cereals. Also we would have to take time to find a store that would carry them.

We would be adventuresome and try new ones! BUT some of the gluten-free varieties are just awful tasting and very pricey.

I did order the special Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free cards from a website that I found mentioned on Fodors. That way my son, age 15, can handle ordering his own food at restaurants.

Thanks again!
Sandy
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM

Are you staying in hotels or renting a home during your travels? When we were in Europe last month, several of the hotels we stayed in had signs stating that they would provide gluten-free breakfasts upon request.