Spanish Honeymoon

Mar 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Spanish Honeymoon

My fiance and I are loooking to plan our honeymoon (late July) to the Andalusia area and perhaps a side trip to Morraco and/or Porto, Portugal. We're really excited about this and looking for any tips on top of the line accomodations and recommendations on things to see and do. Thanks for your help!!
Mar 19th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Just be prepared for the heat. At that time of year temps are routinely 100+. Make sure your hotels have good AC and a nice pool - since its really too hot to do much in the afternoons.
Mar 19th, 2005, 09:35 PM

Congradulations on your upcoming marriage. I love Spain, but like nytraveler mentioned, it will be very hot in July. If that's not a problem, fine. I think Seville is very romantic as is Alhambra and many of the white villages. How long do you plan to stay? What kinds of things do you like to do? Are you on a budget? Do you plan to rent a car?
Mar 20th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

We did hear it's going to be quite warm, but we're pretty resiliant and hope that as long as the hotel/resort we choose has air co. we can always retreat if necessary. That said we're planning on staying for 2 weeks and do plan on renting a car as we love exploring everything from museums to mountain climbing and because we're using airline points for our flights we have a fairly reasonable budget.
Mar 20th, 2005, 10:50 AM

My fiancee and I just got back from Andalucia yesterday and we had a blast. We flew into Madrid and bused to Granada. In Granada we went to the Alhambra and walked the streets.
We then took a bus to Pitres near the Sierra Nevada Mountain range. This was the best part of the trip. It was beautiful. We hiked to all of the local villages in the area and ate great food and hiked in the mountains. We stayed at a wonderful B&B and it was peace and quiet.
We ended the trip in Seville. It was lovely.
I would recommend this trip to everyone!
The weather in March was perfect. It was in the mid 70s.

Like everyone else has said, July is going to be really hot, but it will be quite enjoyable!

Mar 21st, 2005, 08:09 AM

Veninda writes: "My fiance and I are loooking to plan our honeymoon (late July) to the Andalusia area and perhaps a side trip to Morraco and/or Porto, Portugal."

Andalucia is nice, but it gets so hot there in midsummer that you might find yourselves with 'cabin fever' (i.e., stuck indoors for the A/C or at a Hotel swimming pool) during midday hours.

Morocco may be equally hot, unless you get a Chergui (a dry desert wind not unlike Caifornia's Santa Ana). When that happens, daytime temperatures top out well above 100 Farenheit.

Stay close to the shore in Andalucia! My last visit there I stayed in el Puerto de Santa Maria and daytripped to Sevilla, Cadiz, Arcos de la frontera, etc. There's a 5-star Deluxe Hotel (el Monasterio de San Miguel) in el Puerto.

You mention Porto, Portugal. I think you probably mean Faro (or Lagos) on the Algarve coast. Porto is a long haul from Andalucia; but the weather along the Duero should be much cooler than Sevila, for example.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

So excited! We just booked our flights coming into Madrid July 26th (leaving on August 8th). Based on all that I've read on this site (which is so helpful) I'm focusing our trip on Sevilla, Granada, Nerja and someplace along the Costa del Sol. Right now I'm thinking of starting off in Nerja at the Paridiso since it looks so relaxing. What's the best way to get to Nerja? Are there car rentals available in Nerja?
Thank you!
Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM

If you spend time in Nerja try to visit a small village several kilometers north of Nerja, called Frigiliana. It is charming and has wonderful vistas of the coast and the mountains.