Spain with Grandchildren

Search

Spain with Grandchildren

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain with Grandchildren

Thank you to everyone who posts on this forum. We have taken several fabulous trips based on things I have learned here. My husband and I are taking our two oldest grandchildren (female, ages 14 and 15) to Spain over their spring break. Our itinerary is as follows: Barcelona, Seville, and Madrid, four nights in each. They have both been in Spanish immersion school since kindergarten. I know how to plan a trip for my husband and me but I would like suggestions on things to do with teenagers in those three cities. I of course am asking them to make suggestions but this will be there very first "big trip" and they are stumped, so to speak. Our goal is to instill a love of travel for both of them and also to create memories. Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 04:32 PM

I would get them a few guide books and let them decide. Here are three very different views. "Let's Go, Spain" is geared to younger travelers. Michelin Green is the best for sites and history. And Rough Guide or Lonely Planet, are bit more edgy. The latest Fodor's has improved greatly. It used to be aimed at the first and only time to Spain but now includes information for people who return. As for Rick Steves his Spain book is an embarrassment for a professional writer.

After reading them, a more informed conversation can take place and the kids will have vested interest.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 06:56 PM
kja

Are you sure that you can see and experience what you want with this plan in this time frame? Just 3 days (4 nights in any of these magnificent cities sounds rushed to me, and trying to fit in any day trips would be near impossible. If your goal is to instill a love of travel – and I think your grandchildren are lucky to have you and your interest in that goal! – then less may be more. Many of my younger co-workers tell me they have no interest whatsoever in travel – they tell me that their parents "dragged" them all over the place when they were young(er), "never" giving them time to do anything other than see the "supposed" highlights. You might consider limiting your trip to at most TWO of these cities.

I think IMDonehere’s recommendation is excellent (though I don’t know what “edges” he found in the Rough Guide or Lonely Planet -- I easily recommend either of those guidebooks).

Good luck, and again, kudos for offering this experience to your grandchildren!
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 07:18 PM

That is edgy, not edges. The are highly opinionated.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 07:22 PM
kja

@ IMDonehere -- I understood your meaning. I haven't noticed that either is particularly opinionated -- at least not about sites, foods, transportation, or logistics, which are the key things I seek in a guidebook.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely get those guides for them.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

I totally agree that it is not enough time in each place. My husband and I like to spend at least five days in a city. However, they chose the cities because their parents met in Spain while attending a law school summer program and they have heard wonderful stories about those places their entire lives. I appreciate your input.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 04:35 PM
kja

Originally Posted by isabelsnana
they chose the cities because their parents met in Spain while attending a law school summer program and they have heard wonderful stories about those places their entire lives.
How cool! You grandchildren obviously have excellent tastes, and I'm sure you will all have a delightful time. My remarks were well-intentioned, but clearly off-base -- sorry about that.