Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain - Travel with Toddler - Recommendations? Difficulties?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm traveling with a 2 year old in September in the Asturias region. It's my understanding that if we want to visit the Galicia or Basque regions, it'd be wise to rent a car...

Can anyone chime in on their experience traveling this area (or other parts of Spain) with a little one? Did you have a difficult time with rental cars and car seats? Do trains and other modes of public transportation require I bring a car seat with me? Is there a govt website you know of that explains the current requirements for child travel?

I hear Spain is a child friendly place. We speak Spanish and think we'll be fine but please let me know if you've encountered anything pretty different from the US. This will be our first time traveling internationally with a child.

Thank you!
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 02:49 PM

The law for child seats covers all of EU Europe.
There are 3 sizes of seats to be use din cars. The size will depend on child age and height. Your car hire company will be able to supply the correct seat. You could brin your own but it may not be to the correct regulations or even fit into the car securely given the fitting system here in Europe. So you have to check on that one.
Taxis bus (local and log distance) do not need to provide child seats. Trains will not provide child seats either.
Some child seat rules plus other advice, in English:
http://www.getspain-spain.com/driving_in_spain.html

When booking accommodation here in Galicia they are obliged to provide beds (cots) free of charge to children of the age of your little one.
The other parts of Spain you are visiting I unfortunately cannot say what the regulations are.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 03:41 PM

I can tell you that I planned a trip for my son, DIL and 20 month old grandson and now I am going alone. He was so bad on a 3 hour flight to New York that my son is afraid they may throw us out of the plane in the middle of the ocean if he repeats the 3 hours of crying & screaming because he couldn't run around the plane! We have a 10hr. flight to Istanbul. I have a stroller that is very lightweight and lays down, but again they are afraid he will ruin our tours because if he doesn't get a "real" nap he gets cranky. I followed my heart and booked the trip, but my mind tells me as much as I want to take him, he would probably ruin our trip, so I ate the cost and will try again when he no longer needs a nap and we can communicate better! Good luck to you.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM

You must have an appropriate child seat in a rental car. Public transit - trains, planes or taxis/buses do NOT have child seats - you just hang into the kid.

Can't comment on travel in those specific areas - but with a little one I would want either an apartment or a suite - since the average hotel room won;t have any space for a 2 year old to hang out/play.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Doh

Personally I would bring your own car seat, if you can. We tried renting one in Spain once and the car co. could only offer us a single seat that appeared to be broken, as neither they nor I could figure out how to secure it in the car.

The other thing I would recommend is to bring a full supply of any medicines you ordinarily use. As I recall we were unable to buy motrin for kids in Spain.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 10:47 PM

When booking your car, just tell the car hire company that you need a child seat. In any case, you can find child seats at reasonable prices (60EUR) in most department stores and big supermarkets, homologated and of good quality.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the suggestions.

Zwho - I'm sorry you'll be traveling without the grandson but you probably did the right thing. My daughter will be 2 1/2 so it's a bit easier to reason (or at least barter) with her. Good luck and have a great trip!
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM

tata823,

I travelled with my 3 1/2 year old last year to Germany and it was fine. I found the Europeans very welcoming and loving to my daughter - in fact she was the recipient of many treats and small toys from shopkeepers, flight attendants, waiters, etc. We traveled on Iberia through Madrid and had a positive experience with the airline. The child meal on the flight was better than ours - but watch out when they try to sneak an extra candy bar or sugar treat on their tray...

My only advice is to take it a bit slower and let them take it easy once and a while. A lot of travel can be a bit rushed and it seems to take a big toll on everyone when there is a little one involved. Just leave yourself plenty of time and make sure you develop a lighter itinerary than you otherwise might. Don't get too disappointed if your child isn't in the mood to see something at the same time you are. Some of the trip will go well, other times it will be borderline chaotic, but if you leave yourself some space to recover, you'll have a great time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Woyzeck! I'm preparing myself for the chaotic...
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:01 PM

Bring your own car seat. Try as much as possible to keep to the normal schedule for meals, naps and bedtimes. Bring a few familiar toys, books, a pillow or blanket and snacks to keep things as close to home as possible. Continue your normal routines for bedtimes etc. as much as you can within reasonable limits. You should be rewarded with a happy traveling child.

It helps to remember that your child will be as stressed as you are and try to be relaxed and cheerful as you go about your daily routine.

I love introducing kids to travel and you can have a wonderful trip with a little advance planning and a good attitude!

Happy travels!
Saige.