Spain Train Travel

Search

Spain Train Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Train Travel

We plan to travel while in Spain using train travel. After flying to Madrid we will use the train to go to Toledo and Segovia for day trips; then take a train to Sevilla. While in Sevilla we will take the train to Cordoba and possibly another day trip while in Sevilla. We will then return to Madrid again using the train.
We live in the United States and are 'Seniors', How can we purchase the Senior discount train pass, a Tarjeta Dorada. When visiting the website it does not seem to have online purchases but instead mentions buying it from a ticket office in Spain
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 09:28 AM

also check out Spain Railpass for that many trips though Senior pass is probably cheaper but beauty of railpass is you do not have to book trains until in a place not weeks/months in advance to get discounted tickets - www.seat61.com has maybe the answer to that question and is the expert on European trains these days - for general train info I also like www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. And consider first class too with eall options - sometimes not much more than 2nd class depending on availability of discounted tickets. If having to buy that pass once there check the rail desk at Madrid airport for that.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Hello,

I travel frequently to Spain, and also would qualify for the Tarjeta Dorada. Ive never used it because you have to wait until you get to Spain to get it, and I rather have my train travel reserved before. Also, if you reserve at Renfe.com at least a couple of months before travel , many times you can get rates as advantageous as the Trajeta Dorada , and you can chose your seat ( I think in Tarjeta Dorada you cant, but not sure)
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by cruiseluv
Hello,

I travel frequently to Spain, and also would qualify for the Tarjeta Dorada. Ive never used it because you have to wait until you get to Spain to get it, and I rather have my train travel reserved before. Also, if you reserve at Renfe.com at least a couple of months before travel , many times you can get rates as advantageous as the Trajeta Dorada , and you can chose your seat ( I think in Tarjeta Dorada you cant, but not sure)
Booking or reserving a train earlier is a good idea.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 06:39 AM

That discount pass would be good if you want flexibility to chosen which trains to take once there but as above experts say cheaper to book well in advance at Renfe.