Spain - Organized or self guided tours?

Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain - Organized or self guided tours?

This will be our first trip to Spain in April and we would like to take advantage of a more leisurely paced vacation. I am receiving mixed reviews on organized bus tours. Restricted schedules, limited time spent in various museums, etc.
Travel agent has advised that self guided could be very costly.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:59 AM

'Travel agent has advised that self guided could be very costly.' - He/she would, they are not there for your benefit.

You may be leaving it late if you want to get your self organised head together, but without you advising what or where you want from this trip, how much time you have and the style and budget of your travel, I do not think I could help further.

Buses and trains touch almost everywhere at very reasonable prices for buses (most services are not run for you, the tourist) and with planning and advance purchase very good value for train.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM

I think they are being some poor information by their agent.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...week-2011-.cfm
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Our tentative itinerary would probably be as follows:
April 16-21 Barcelona
April 21-25 Seville
April 26-29 Madrid
We are still trying to tweak out the details as far as dates & duration of stay in each city.
Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 08:39 AM

A good guidebook should suffice. No need to book a tour if you want to stay in three major cities with good transportation connections.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 09:20 AM

We took similar trip with grown kids. Started in Barcelona, three days, flew to Granada, two full days, rented a car, drove to the Blanco towns in the hills south of Seville and spent two nights in that area, drove to Seville for three nights four days, (Seville is a wonderful city, make sure to see some "Flamenco dancing). Day trips from Seville to Jerez and nearby towns were fun. Took train to Madrid for three days and flew home from Madrid.
In retrospect we would have spent one less day in Madrid and more time in Southern Spain.
Bottom line - this trip can be done at a reasonable price, Spain is a lovely and friendly country with lots to see and do. I would not recommend tour busses because going where you want when you want is much better.
Hope you have a greet trip.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
kja

You should be able to plan the trip on your own, with the help of some good guide books and on-line resources (like this forum).
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM

Based on your two posts, this travel agent is of little worth.

With your tentativeness and presuming you enter the country at Barcelona and exit at Madrid.

Train Barcelona to Madrid is minimum 5hrs. 30mins.(or flight with at least www.vueling.com)
Train Seville to Madrid.

The national rail carrier is http://www.renfe.com/
Ensure you read at least this - http://tiny.cc/xgsxn and if necessary this - http://tiny.cc/yw8vf to help with use of the RENFE website and enable you to find possible 60% discounts on your train fare.
....and please do not go back to this travel agent, who will very likely tell you a Rail Pass is what you need.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 03:13 AM

At immediately above, where I say 'Train Barcelona to Madrid' should read - Train Barcelona to Seville.

Best wishes.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 05:04 AM

Hello. i am taking a similar trip in May, Barcelona, Madrid and Seville... I thought that the train frfom Barcelona to Madrid was like 3 hours?
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:18 AM

bjc280,

Did you read my last post correction?
And yes, Barcelona to Madrid not less than 2hrs. 38mins.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your input-it is greatly appreciated and also opened my eyes as I'm a "Newbie" to Spain travel.
We've narrowed down the hotels to the following as I've been told they're centrally located:
Seville:
-Hotel Casa 1800
Barcelona:
-Hotel Curious
Madrid:
Hotel Preciados
Our biggest concern is traveling there during the Easter Week. I can imagine that everything will be very busy & most museums/art galleries closed.
We are thinking of going during the second week of May.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM

Semana Santa is actually an incredible time to visit Spain, particularly in the South. If you can find hotels at a decent price I'd not hesitate to visit during this time.

As others have noted this 3-city tour would be very easy to do on your own.

My biggest concern would be hotel availability at this point if you decide to visit during Semana Santa. Hotel Casa 1800 is a great choice - but it is likely booked. Even the 2nd week of May it may be booked. I'd honestly shoot several emails to your favorite hotels and see how many choices you have to select. At this late time in the game I wouldn't spend alot of time researching hotels and loosing time. The hotel recommendations on trip advisor are usually pretty good.

If you visit the 2nd week of May you may be in time to visit Cordoba for their Patio festival and could catch the tail end of Sevilla's feria.