Search

Spain on Stike:

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain on Stike:

Unfortunately it appears Spain is going heavy into striking mood at present.
The air traffic controllers are "thinking" about starting a 3-day strike from the 21st August 2010. There will be a 10-day warning of this.
There is presently a bus drivers strike. The company affected is called Auto Res it is owned by a larger company called Avanza. One day of action was today (the 9th August 2010) and other days programmed are for the August 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 21st, 29th and 31st and on September 1st. On these dates it seems a minimum service (about 50% I think) will be running.
Lastly there is a call for a General strike on the 29th September 2010. Almost everything will be affected if the unions get their way and they did not last time!
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Hi Ribeirasacra, thanks for the information. We will be in Spain (Madrid) on September 29 and were warned about the strike with the suggestion that we avoid travel that day, so we have re-arranged our schedule so that on that date we will be staying put in Madrid and not trying to move on to another city.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not familiar exactly what a "General Strike" entails - for those of us who are unsure, can you explain what else besides transport is likely to be affected that day? Does a "General Strike" mean that museums and other attractions will be closed? If so, do you have any suggestions for what a tourist might do in Madrid on the day of a General Strike? What about restaurants - will they be affected?

Thanks so much for any information!
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM

A great deal of public transport and taxis will probably not run, whether unionised or not, as many fear intimidation if strike breaking. The unemployed will also sympathise or march. Who can tell who will sympathise and your hotel, restaurant, bar or museum staff join in (or have the day off to avoid a problem.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Reading the press here in Spain this general strike will include all of those working for the government or government bodies. The term they use is funcionarios. Anybody from street cleaners, bus drivers, police doctors, right past air traffic controllers and on to high civil servants. (to give an examples).
The unions would love to see a lot of disruption and people protesting on the streets. However the last time they called one is went off with a small whimper. So who knows what will happen.
This is in Spanish:
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/econo...lpepueco_1/Tes
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 01:56 PM

The news last week is that the air traffic controllers will not be going on strike in august as initially planned! phew!!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

The ATCs strike could be later in the year who knows...so some will escape the problems, thankfully.
The bus situation is not looking good at the moment. and the way this government is talking I presently fee the general strike is gaining momentum.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 01:00 AM

Same situation in Britain. There is a chance that many of our airports may be closed at the end of August due to strikes.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

yanumpty...is that not called a bank holiday?
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM

tt
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 06:56 AM

We are flying on Iberia on 9/3 from Boston to Madrid? Should we expect any problems with this? Also, we have a train set for 9/7 from Madrid to San Sebastian. Again, shoudl we expect any problems?

We haven't had strike problems for a couple of years and that time, it was in France during the rugby games. Joy!
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 09:06 AM

ribeirasacra

Yes, the two do seem to align frequently. Still could be worse, we could have to rely on French air traffic controllers.

May need your help soon. We are looking to arrange a long overdue trip to Northern Spain.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

I await your posting.... sin ATCs!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Hi just saw this posting about a general strike on 29th of September, the day we fly into Madrid to start our holiday. Looking on the web , I can't find current news on this (mostly news from June).
Is anyone in Spain at present and know anything about it?
Or does anyone have up to date news on it? I would prefer not to change the date of our travels as it will cost us!
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:57 AM

The one day general strike goes ahead, refer to my precis above.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM

Thanks for replying. Are you in Spain? I know it is still a fair time away but I just rang my travel agent and airline and they have no knowledge of it.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:33 PM

Also wombatt do you know if the air traffic controllers are involved or will the airports be open. Thanks .
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Carter 2010,

I am sorry. I have given explanations here and in several other forums of what the possible disruptive effects in this general strike might be. I would like to have said - Who knows? - and left it at that. However, the offence this might have caused to some due to lack of knowledge or naivete precluded this comment.
Whether, I am in Spain or not, (I am not at present),there is media information out there. The strike is on, as of now. Even the band U2 have cancelled a date, hours ago, in Seville (could they be sympathetic?) - see what I mean - who knows?

Best wishes.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

I am in Spain and like WomBatt says who knows. A general strike is meant to include all workers. We have to wait an see.
It seems as if the ATC dispute is over because an agreement has been reached.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 12:52 AM

Thanks again for replying. I rang my travel agent, Qantas, and today I rang our travel insurance company here in Australia - they have no knowledge of it.
So sorry for my continual questions - my search on the internet took me to the European Trade Union Confederation (http://www.etuc.org) and some details for the European Day of Action on 29 September.
Our insurance company said if it happens we are covered for changes. However if our flights are rescheduled we might miss our bus trip. A refund is not much compensation for the disappointment of a cancelled trip.
Thanks again for your input. Still trying to decide if I should pay the extra cost and arrive on the 28th September.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM

Carter2010,

Sorry, missed your thanks - thanks.

Best wishes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -