Spain - Mallorca

Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain - Mallorca

Hi:

I will be travelling to Spain this summer with my wife and 12 year-old daughter. We were originally going to divide our 8 days between Madrid and Barcelona but are considering the addition of Mallorca to the mix.

Any suggestions on prioritizing time in each locale and any suggestions on hotels in Mallorca?

Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 05:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mallorca is a wonderful island and has contrasting areas that offer different things to different people. Do you want beaches and not much else, or a more Mallorcan experience within reach of the sea, town or country?

The capital is Palma and offers shopping, hotels by the hundred,restaurants and history, but it's not a resort. Palma Nova and Magaluf are party central and aren't to everyone's taste. The east side of the island is flatter and has good beaches but takes ages to get anywhere else. The west side is mountainous and has more to offer in places like Soller, Valdemossa and Deia. The north side is Pollenca and Alcudia.

My own favourite is Pollenca. It's got a very local feel to it, within 5km of the sea, has good hotels and excellent restaurants. If you provide a bit more info, it would help to make recommendations.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 09:30 AM

Check out Cap Rocat (www.caprocat.com) on the bay across from Palma. Very private. And in the north, Belmond La Residenia.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 09:40 AM

I really enjoyed Mallorca and indeed have written a trip report about it, but I truly think you are adding an illogical detour to an 8-day trip if you still plan to experience the two major cities. Those 8 days would barely scratch the surface in two cities, especially when you figure in your check-out and transport and check-in to the next city.

You WILL come back to Spain. Do Vallencia and Majorca and something else then.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 09:53 AM

We LOVED our first visit to Mallorca two summers ago .. and so are returning this summer (actually mid May).

We used it as a break from city touring as part of our larger europeon holiday.. so got out of Palma and stayed in Cala D'Or..

It was exactly as pictured.. incredible blue clear blue waters.. lovely white washed town.. so friendly, clean and cheap food ( awesome wine too)

We stayed in another beach town on mainland about 1.5 hours from Barcelona the year before that.. and loved it. but frankly the water was not as clean.. all those big cruise ships or yachts.. well their garbage is floating onto some beaches.. but Cala D'or was pristine.

Anyways.. look it up.. it is an hour out of the big town ..but so perfect.. we are flying there on Vueling from Barcelona.. so cheap, think I paid 35 euros each.. and its only 40 minutes.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 12:22 AM

I am also a Majorca lover but not sure you should try and do it within the 8 days. If you do then I cant see any point in moving beyond Palma for logistic reasons. A fellow Fodorite has sown the seeds of visiting the South East of the Island - seems less touristy with great beaches. I can be more specific if required. That said I am visiting in April and going to the North East not far from Pollenca.