Spain itinerary = Madrid + ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are thinking about a 7-to-10-day trip to Spain in May or June. Given travel logistics and our wish to limit ourselvs to 2 "home base" locations while on our trip, we'd like to spend approx. 2 days in Madrid and choose another city for the remainder of the trip. I've read some interesting things on these boards about Sevilla, Valencia and Granada but am having trouble narrowing it down. I think we'd like somewhere with a much more "small city" feel than Madrid, and would enjoy some exposure to Moorish Spain while there. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM

In the amount of time you have, I'd suggest you do day trips from Madrid to Toledo, Segovia, Avila, and Salamanca and have Seville as you 2nd "home base" with day trips to Cordova and Granada.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:11 PM

Hi

Yes I second the above suggestions. I loved Madrid and I don't think 2 days is anywhere near enough in this city. Toledo is an easy day trip and not to be missed. Andalucian Spain is a must as well - some argue this is the true Spain. I don't know about Seville having a "small city" feel but it is certainly a handy base for the other places mentioned.

Have fun - Spain is a fabulous country.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:14 AM

Are you flying to Madrid from the US? If so, the first day is a 'wash:' my recommendation is that you continue to Sevilla before overnighting: One reason being that many hotels will not have your room available until after 1:00 PM.

Other factors to consider: if your stay includes Pentecost (4 Jun) you should try to make a point of being in Andalucia for the Romeria to the Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio, near Almonte (Huelva) which peaks then.

You can daytrip from Sevilla for a few days (Arcos de la frontera, el Puerto de Santa Maria, Jerez de la frontera and maybe even Granada & Ronda if you have a rental car).

Then, head for Madrid and schedule day trips to Segovia & Toledo; visit the Museo del Prado and the Palacio Real, the Centro de Arte de la Reina Sofia and all of Madrid's outstanding outdoor attractions. You can't do it in 2-days!

The Moors occupied Spain for more than 700-years but I don't consider Moorish Spain the real Spain. For my money, the real Spain is Castilla la Vieja & Aragon, Asturias and Galicia (i.e., north Central and northwest Spain).

If you decide to go earlier, Madrid's San Isidro (May 15) is celebrated the entire month of May. There is also a Spring fair (Festival de Primavera) in el Puerto de Santa Maria (Cadiz) in early May.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM

You have lots of options, but surely 2 days is not enough time in Madrid, 3 or 4 is more likely. Try and see the Pardo, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen museums, hit some GREAT restaraunts, and dont miss the nightlife. Toledo, Salamanca and Segovia are great day trips!
Then move south, Sevilla is not a small city, actually quite large, if you want something smaller, try Caddiz on the coast its beautifulke, with some great history to it! I love Madrid, have lived there before, if you need anything hit me back!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM

I also vote for Sevilla as your second base. Since it's connected to Madrid by the AVE high-speed train, it's easy and quick to get to. It's beautiful, with a Moorish feel. Although it's a large city, it's easy to walk around and has the feel of a much smaller city, IMO.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:26 PM

If you really plan to do a "daytrip" to Granada from Seville be aware that a one-way rail journey takes three hours and I suspect the bus service is only slightly faster.

I assume you would want to go there to see "the" main site, the Alhambra, which IMO will take you several hours to do.

You might consider driving and staying there for one night or taking public transport and overnighting and then flying back to (I assume) Madrid for your onward flight home.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 03:05 PM

You probbaly need more than 2 days in Madrid, though IMHO you could also spend at least a week in any of the other places you mentioned. The Lahambra in Granada is half a day at least, the city is worth at least a day, and the villages of the Alpujarras another day. I've never been to Sevilla or Cordoba but from reports I've seen, you won't be bored there either. UK television has shown several first rate documentaries on the history of these places, an essential antidote to the anti-islamic hysteria of some "newspapers".
Beware of high temperatures in Sevilla, and to a lesser extent in Granada - check the average temperature charts for the weeks you have in mind. May and June shouldn't be too bad, but 40c is not unusual for Sevilla in July and August. They knew what they wre doing when they invented the siesta.
As a complete alternative there's always San Sebastian in Euskadi (known in English as the Basque Country). Contrary to some perceptions this is not a dangerous place to visit and San Sebastian has been reported in some UK magazines as the best eating place in Europe - top class cooking even in the smallest of bars, for no more than you'd pay for a cardboardburger at home.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I would suggest either Barcelona or Sevilla. We visited both for 5 days each with 2.5 days in madrid last april. We loved Sevilla with Barcelona close second. Madrid was fine - not our first choice for a return trip however. We'd be in Sevilla in a heartbeat!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM

I Love Salamanca ( spent a few days there a year ago) but I wouldn't consider it a day trip from Mdrid. Could it be done? Yes.... it's a 2 and a half hours bus ride from Madrid.
I think that given your limited time in Madrid you have more than enough day trips with places that are closer such as Toledo, Avila and Segovia.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Was just looking at my old photos of Spain. Sevilla, if you stay inside the oldtown/ghetto, has a small town feel, and lots to offer. I would skip Valencia. Granada definitely. We had no trouble driving Madrid-Salamanca-down the western border towns to Andalucia, then back up via Toleda to Madrid for return. I did a separate side trip to Barcelona, but with just 7-10 days it needs a separate trip.