Spain Itinerary - Advice -

Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Spain Itinerary - Advice -

I've been going over my Spain intinerary for about a month now and was hoping I could get some advice/tips on how I'm trying to plan my time.

Fly to Barcelona
Day 1 Barcelona (sleep Barcelona)
Day 2 Barcelona (sleep Barcelona)
Day 3 Barcelona (sleep Barcelona)
Day 4 Barcelona (sleep Barcelona)
Day 5 Seville (sleep Seville)
Day 6 Seville (sleep Seville)
Day 7 Seville (sleep Seville)
Day 8 Cordoba (sleep Cordoba)
Day 9 Granada (sleep Granada)
Day 10 Granada (sleep Granada)
Day 11 Toledo (sleep Toledo)
Day 12 Toledo (sleep Toledo)
Day 13 Madrid (sleep Madrid)
Day 14 Madrid (sleep Madrid)
Day 15 Madrid (sleep Madrid)
Day 16 Madrid (sleep Madrid)
Day 17 Madrid (sleep Madrid)
Fly Home

Things I'm hoping to do/see:
Barcelona - La Sagrada Familia, Palau Guell,La Pedrera, Parc Guell, Picasso Museum, Joan Miro Foundation, Las Ramblas(Boqueria), Palau de la Musica Catalana, El Born, Gothic Qtr., Montjuic, Day trip to Figueras (Dali Museum).

Seville - Cathedral, Reales Alcazares, Casa de Pilatos, day trip to Jerez to see the equestrian ballet.

Cordoba - La Mezquita, Museo de Bellas Artes.

Granada - Alhambra, Cathedral.

Toledo - Alcazar, Cathedral, El Greco Museum, Sephardic Museum.

Madrid - Prado, Thyssen, Reina Sofia, Palacio Real, Plaza Mayor, El Retiro Park, Museo del Traje.

I also hope to get a chance to walk around all of the different Plazas and some neighborhoods while I'm in each place.

Places I plan on staying. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices for each city. (if anyone has stayed at one these hotels I'd love to hear your opinions):

Barcelona - Market Hotel, Hotel Condado and Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona.

Seville - Hotel Alcantara, Hotel Amadeus, and Hotel Murillo

Cordoba - Hotel Mezquita, San Miguel, and Los Omeyos Hotel

Granada - Casa del Capitel Nazari, Puerta de las Granadas, and Guadalupe Hotel

Toledo - Hotel Santa Isabel, Hostel del Cardenal, and Palacio Eugenia de Montijo.

Madrid - Staying with Friends.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
kja

Sounds like a great plan to me!

I stayed at only one of the hotels you mentioned - Hostel del Cardinal in Toledo, which I loved.

Enjoy!
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:34 PM

I like your itinerary, but would leave only one night in Toledo and would do a night in Salamanca (with its day, of course )
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

wow, Bbb7,

what a great trip.

I've only got a few comments/ideas -

do try to fit in salamanca [day trip from Madrid?]

you haven't allowed any time in the countryside - after a while, all those galleries and museums merge into one!

in granada, we stayed at the hotel guadelupe - for the price [60E per night per room with a big bathroom] and position opposite the alhambra, it would be hard to beat. you can walk down to the town in about 10 minutes, and catch a bus back up for 1E per trip from the main square.

there is a recent very good trip report about madrid by comfyshoe, and you could look at maribel's guides too.

good luck,

regards, ann

PS don't forget to book your tickets for the alhambra [day and evening] as soon as you book your hotel [and check availability before you book!]

Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

From an overall perspective your itinerary looks just fine and leaves lots of time for exploring the places you want to go.

Though, it would help to know which month you plan to go, and if you will have to rely on train/air travel or will have a rental car.

And I guess there is a reason why you plan to stay 2 nights in Toledo, which could also be a pretty nice day trip while staying in Madrid.

I am a bit biased against the big cities, so I'd always suggest to also see the countryside. Southwestern Andalucía is dotted with the famous White Villages (pueblos blancos), many of them in easy reach from Seville.
If you just want to go to Jerez, you can also do a tour of one of the Sherry/Brandy cellars in town.

Seville, Cordoba, and Granada are all quite close to each other. Would be too much hassle for me to unpack/pack suitcases every other day for just a 2hr drive or less to the next city. But again, this is just a personal preference, and by no means a judgement!

Your friends from Madrid will probably have tons of good tips for you, but you could add the Escorial to your list of places to visit there.

Hope you will lots of fun!
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM

Hi

I suggest you take a day off Toledo and do a day trip to either Segovia, Avilla, El Escorial or Aranjuez.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions!

A couple of things I forgot to mention...

I will be traveling in February 2008. I know it's a long way off but this is my first trip to Europe and I figure it's never too early to plan.

I will be catching a flight from Barcelona to Seville and then the rest of my traveling will be done by train. I am not renting a car on this trip so all of my sightseeing will be done on foot.

One of the reasons I am traveling from Seville to Cordoba to Granada (instead of just staying in Seville and doing day trips) is I thought if I stayed the night(s) in Cordoba and Granada I wouldn't feel rushed to make the train at the end of the day to head back to Seville. I would love opinions on this though. Does it make more sense to keep a base in Seville and just do day trips before heading to Toledo?

I am going to try and do a day trip while I am in Madrid to Segovia but it looks like I should head to Salamanca instead. Which one would balance my "city" trip?

I was thinking of removing a day from Toledo due to everyone's suggestions (I wasn't sure if 2 nights was too much and it looks like it probably is) and adding a day onto Seville.

Since I'm adding a day to Seville I'd love suggestions for a good day trip outside the city.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM

We too loved Hostal Cardenal in Toledo.

This looks good to me, but I'd suggest a daytrip to Segovia from Madrid.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM

If you do:
Barcelona-Sevilla-Cordoba-Granada-Toledo,
the Granada-Toledo is at least 6.5hr train trip with few departure options. Also Cordoba-Granada is at least 2.5hr on one train or at least 4hrs on others.

If you rearrange:
Barcelona-Granada-Sevilla-Cordoba-Toledo,
Cordoba-Toledo is only 2:40 hrs. Sevilla-Cordoba-Madrid-Toledo trains are very frequent and fast.

Since both Barcelona-Sevilla and Barcelona-Granada are flying, does it matter which one you visit first? There are less Granada flights, but should be enough to satisfy most needs.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM

My suggestion is spend only one night in Toledo and add daytrips to Segovia and Salamanca from Madrid.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:18 AM

Barcelona.
day1 Sagr. Familia, Parc Güell, Pedrera, walk down Passeig de Gracia (you forgot Casa Batlló!!)

day2 Picasso Museum (early), El Borne, Palau de la Musica, Barrio Gotico, Las Ramblas (+Boq), Palau Güell.

day3 Figueras

day4 Montjüic and Joan Miró (would suggest in the evening for the city views).

Barcelona area map+guide:
http://www.way2stay.com/area-info-Barcelona-en-52.htm
You could also consider self-catering in BCN by getting a vacation apartment, which will work out cheaper.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
kja

Hi, Bbb7 -

It seems to me that you can choose between seeing more places at a more rapid and perhaps more superficial pace, or seeing fewer things in a more leisurely and thorough way. If it helps you plan, I spent 2 nights in Toledo, with almost 2 full very busy days of seeing things - and I saw most of what I hoped to see there. I spent 2 nights and 2 days - again very full days - in Salamanca. Likewise, 2 nights, nearly 2 full days in Cordoba. I also loved Sevilla and Avila, each of which I visited for a night and day.

As for overnight stays versus daytrips - I personally prefer the former: I find that places have a very different feel in the evenings than during the day, and I like having the extra memories of a meal and hotel to round out my experiences. And I don't mind moving around a lot. But I know many people prefer to base themselves somewhere.

Hope that helps!