Spain...is this possible?

Aug 17th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Larry

Spain...is this possible?

I am going to spain on Nov.1 I will Start in Madrid and go on thru Andalusia and back to Toledo. I have a limited amount of time, however I am thinking I would like to try to go to Segovia and Salamanca by train in one day...and if possible I would like to try to sneak in Avila on the way back. Is this possible? I can not give more time. In order to do this I would have to give up Ronda. Comments please

Aug 17th, 2002, 03:20 PM
hay

Hey, asrse, don't tell us how many days you're going

Aug 17th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Angel

Larry,
In one day?
No, not possible. Certain about that.
Avila and Salamanca are on the same train line, but with the limited time you have for this mega day trip, all you'd see of those 2 great towns is the train station-a weekend is another matter... Segovia is on a different line. Best way to Segovia is the bus, ditto for Salamanca. Avila, though, is quicker by train. You couldn't do it all if you tried, but see for yourself at www.renfe.es

Aug 17th, 2002, 03:35 PM
xxx

Larry - even if you could, you wouldn't enjoy it and would spend the vast majority of time traveling. We loved Segovia and thought it was a great day trip (one thing you could add that we thought is a must see is La Granja, the Spanish Versaille outside of Segovia). Not sure how to do on buses, we hired a car and driver from Madrid and these two things was a very full day in and of itself.

Not sure if your message meant you would have to drop Ronda to do Segovia or whether dropping Ronda would give you more time, either way, I would skip Ronda. We stayed at the Parador and the gorge was beautiful and the town was charming, but we definitely prefered Segovia, Toledo and Andalusia (Seville and Granada) to Ronda.

Aug 17th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Larry

Thanks...it is hard to tell from looking at maps and they all looked fairly close. The rest of the trip is at a slow pace of at least 2 days a city and I was thinking one day of a whirl wind might work out. How long does the bus(?) take to get to Salamanca? Car sounds like a great idea, but I will be alone and it would be too expensive

Aug 17th, 2002, 03:55 PM
renta

Larry
by train you can do Salamanca and then Avila.The problem is you need abus to connect you to Segovia and thenyou couldtake the train back to Madrid.I'm sure there is a bus but that's tough info to find out other then getting in touch w/Spainsh Touristoff ice.Woth a phine call.If you're inUSA,I've found the people in the Os Angeles and Miami office the best,not in New York or Miami.The other suggestion is to rent a car for the day.If you can drive a shift you can get a really good deal-Salamanca is only 127 miles NW of Madrid,get an early start,after a couple of hours,drive down to Avila,park the car,again a couple of hours later,drive down to Segovia,have lunch because everything closes down anyway.Park the car near the aqueduct and walk up to the cathedral and then the Alcazar.The streets are so narrow I wouldn't recommend driving but that's up to you and your driving skills!
If you were to add upthe train fare,not cheap anymore ,you will probably break pretty close to even and see alot more!Pick up the rental up in the north part of Madrid,around Chamartin,easy to get on the highway which is very clearly marked

Aug 17th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Maribel

Larry,
I would save Salamanca for another trip. It's just a tad too far northeast for your Madrid/Andalusian itinerary. It fits *best* with a Castilla-Leon/Galicia trip. The bus to Salamanca takes exactly 2 1/2 hrs. (I take the bus). The train is a longer ride, stopping in Avila on route.

Segovia is easily accessed from Madrid by bus or train and makes a wonderful, perfect, (unforgettable, actually) day trip. If you had a car, you could then include the Bourbon Palace at San Idelfonso de La Granja. It's just been recently restored to its former glory, the tapestries have been cleaned (I saw some of them in a special show at the Met in NYC this winter), the chandeliers are amazing and the gardens just beautiful. Yes, a "mini Versailles".

Here's how to travel to Segovia via public transp., copied from my Madrid file:
SEGOVIA:
"La Sepulvedana" bus from Paseo de la Florida #11, next to the Hotel Florida Norte (metro: Principe Pio, grey circular line #6) Express bus service with departures almost every 30 min. during the week (a few departures have 3 intermediate stops). Trip takes 1 hr. 15 min., flat. I take the express at 9 (daily) or 9:30 a.m. (not on Sun.) There's also a daily 10 a.m. express. Earliest departure at 6, Mon-Fri.
From Segovia, last bus at 8:45 p.m, Sun. at 10:30 p.m. From the bus station in Segovia on Paseo Ezequiel Gonzalez, walk down to corner and take a left onto Avenida Fernandez Larreda, past Kitius, a computer store with Internet access and continue on, and it becomes a porticoed, pedestrian only street. A pleasant, easy 10 min. stroll to the Aqueduct and tourist office. No need for taxi
Or
Take a Regional train from CHAMARTIN station, the fastest run is 1 hr. 20 min., but not as frequent as the bus. Also from the Segovia train station, you'll need to taxi or take a city bus to the Acueduct or a 20 min walk. Not as convenient as bus. Check schedule at www.renfe.es

Aug 17th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Maribel

Larry,
Make that "Salamanca is just a tad too far northWEST". I'm directionally challenged! Sorry

Aug 17th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Art

You could take a bus tour from Madrid that goes to Avilla and Segovia. Both worth visiting.

Aug 17th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Marty

Well,I recommend something that I did while in Madrid. I had a car drive me around Madrid one day to see the sites and then drive me to both Segovia and Toledo the second day. It was a great way to decide what to do and the driver will also stop for you. Toledo is a small town and so is Segovia so that can be done in one day. Don't forget to buy some lovely Marzipan fruit candy in Toledo, it was invented there. The car will not cost you much at all (50 bucks a day). The driver can recommend restaurants for you, and places to shop as you tour the cities. Have fun!

Aug 17th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Leslie

Marty, I love the idea of a car and driver, sort of a private tour. Do you have recommendations, and an email address or telephone number?

Thanks.

Aug 17th, 2002, 10:01 PM
thereshe

Leslie go away,now you want to look into a driver! Go find some other sites and get alife,aren't you in Canada for the weekend????

Aug 18th, 2002, 02:30 AM
Davidx

1. On NO account miss Ronda.
2. Better to do Salamanca with Zamora and León when you have more time.
I will send you a couple of folders of notes that may help and some URLs of stuff I have done with photos if you send an e-mail address.

Aug 18th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Larry

Thanks to everyone for their help. I am just going to do the day trip to Segovia and hope I get a chance to get back to Spain. David, I sent you an email and would appreciate any info. Thanks again

Aug 18th, 2002, 07:41 AM
melinda

For those that take the train,watch out forthe cercanias,we ended up taking one that took forever from Atocha,made frequent stops,took 21/2 hours!The Segovia train station is in the new part of town and you can wait for the bus but we walked,about 20 minutes.It's downhill.On the way back we took the bus,it's right at the aqueduct,I believe #2 and that is about 20 minute ride,so allow yourself plenty oftime to getback to the train station.