Spain from Dec26 to Jan 5

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2018, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at visiting Spain over the Christmas holidays. We travelled to Sicily during the same time period and had a wonderful time and would like the same weather and atmosphere. We love food, wine and exploring villages. we have had enough of Mexico and the Caribbean Islands and are not beach people. though my husband doesn't like temperatures below 10 degrees Celsius or cold damp. We would like to be about 7 hrs or so form Toronto for flying. any thoughts on Spain or any other similar country. Thanks very much.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 09:39 AM

No one here can give a prediction on the weather. I really mean know one. Someone will no doubt add some sort of link to a historical weather data website. Please remember this will not give you any idea of what could happen.
Considering your love of wine and those weather requirements you will have to dismiss some countries of your list.
I expect you may have a stop over or tow to get to somewhere in Spain.
If you want a better security of the type of weather you are looking for then just like anywhere in the Northern hemisphere head south. But that is never ever a guarantee.
Some links for you to read.
https://www.spain.info/en/que-quiere...andalucia.html
Discover us - Official tourism website of Andalucía
Andalucia ? Iberianature - A blog about the wildlife and nature of Spain
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

thank you ill check those out. we don't want weather guarantee at all just not hot weather and not below 10 Celsius. pretty broad. Down south is too hot and we have been to just about every island in the Caribbean I can think of and I don't want any more Mexico or South America.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 02:25 PM
kja

For historic climate data, check weatherbase.com or timeanddate.com

At that time of year, I'd also look at Andalusia, but you would need to be selective, as you can't see all of it's highlights in the time you have. I'd also encourage you to check some guidebooks to learn which cities have particular holiday celebrations, both to learn whether you want to be some where to take part in one or, conversely, whether you might find that everything is shut down.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 02:31 PM

Andalusia will probably be more than warm enough for you - Madrid could be cool because it's at a higher elevation - maybe land there and spend a few days - should not be really cool in daytime and take bullet train to Seville area- Cordoba, Granada and Seville are great places to base - trains are great - for lots on Spanish trains and booking own tickets at cheapest fares possible check Renfe - Spanish Railways official site; www.trainline.eu - same fares as Renfe but said to be lots easier for foreigners to use - general info www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Fly home from Seville.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 11:45 PM

thank you ill check those out. we don't want weather guarantee at all just not hot weather and not below 10 Celsius. pretty broad.
Sorry but that is guaranteeing the weather. Those things may not happen.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 03:34 AM

You're setting a pretty strict rule for temperature. Maybe Europe shouldn't be on your radar. It's been below 10C here in the Dordogne many nights in the past few weeks, and we're in "the south of France" by most people's calculations. It will be way, way colder here in December and January.

If you're set on going to Europe, Andalusia is your best bet, but nothing is certain. You're too fussy.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks very much
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

so I didn't say it had to be Spain, just something similar. 10 degrees and above anywhere but Mexico and Caribbean island is not being too picky. the world is pretty big.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the references appreciate it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 06:59 AM

Spain is a very heterogenous country in terms of climate, food, traditions, accents and landscapes. And it offers beautiful Christmas celebrations all over the country (for one thing, we get our presents on Jan 6, mainly), and New Year´s Eve is a very lively (and loooong) night. The Canary Islands will offer your climate requirements, but most probably Seville, Cordoba, Málaga will have nice temperatures at that time of the year. Even here in the north, Basque Country, we´ve enjoyed many Christmas seasons with temperatures in the 20s (Celsius)...but then again, it´s a very unpredictable matter.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Marie_Illerbrun
so I didn't say it had to be Spain, just something similar. 10 degrees and above anywhere but Mexico and Caribbean island is not being too picky. the world is pretty big.
The tags you have given this question are the clues we are going on.
I also suggested you head south........ maybe South America?
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 09:05 AM

Do you also have a specific humidity and wind velocity?
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just to be clear there is tons of climate info and then you should be able to find 20 day, 10 day and fewer than 10 day weather forecasts, all this is on the internet. Spanish atlantic coasts are the most difficult to forecast as are regions up in mountains. Good luck.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 11:39 AM

Answers concern Spain because of the title of post - you may want to post in other regional forums if not necessarily Europe. Greece, southern Italy from Rome -Sicily may be neat. Southern France - Riviera area too. Portugal.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 11:46 AM

I think if you chose southern coastal Spain your odds would be excellent, but once you get into anything mountainous, all bets are off. I had a great trip a few years ago from Madrid to Cordoba to Granada to Sevilla to Malaga, with some daytrips in the same time period you are looking at, but I'm sure I had some sub-10C temperatures at some point there, and I had rain a day or two.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 01:03 PM

How about Hawaii - rarely gets much below or above 80 F.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 04:22 PM
kja

If you aren't limiting yourself to Spain, then here's what I recommend: Look at a map of Europe to see what is of interest along its southern edge. Then use weatherbase.com or timeanddate.com or any decent guidebook to find out whether it meets your requirements for temperature. And remember, as others have noted, there are no guarantees when it comes to weather!

Good luck!
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 03:48 PM

Christmas time in Spain

Barcelona has the typical Mediterranean climate and will generally be warmer than most of Spain during the hoildays, except for maybe along the southern coast; Almería, Málaga, Cádiz, but one never knows. At that time of year you don't go to Spain for the warm weather, you go for the holiday season and skiing in the mountains, either the Pyrenees or the Sierra Nevada (Granada), which is the southern most point in Europe where you can ski. The weather in Portugal is usually milder and warmer during the winter months, but if you want warmer weather, then head for Spain's Canary Islands (16º to 20ºC) or Portugal's Madeira, where it will be in the 15º to 18ºC, although both are more than 7 hours from Toronto.

If you are going to go to Barcelona, then you need to confirm your accommodations now. Availability in Barcelona during the holidays are getting difficult this late in the season. And since you've been to Italy, you should know that the Christmas holidays are not over untl Jan 6. Three Kings Day is Jan 5 and celebrated throughout Spain and Portugal.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

thanks very much!